Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help - Potential Big Problem. Oil Overfill Question?

Guys,
A few weeks ago a neighbor backed out of her garage and managed to catch my driver side rear fender on her way out of the drive.
Fast forward: I received my car back from the body shop yesterday and after driving home appr 12 miles, I noticed a substantial engine leak which seems to be dripping onto the passenger side heat exchanger as well as a significant amount I found in the engine compartment pooled up in the sheet metal just below the passenger valve cover area . I called the body guy to find out whether he noticed any oil leakage. He advised that while the car was with him he noticed a small leak on his floor where the car had been sitting. He checked the oil level and saw that it the oil level was low so he added 3 quarts (he checked it while the engine was not running!!!). Big question now is what if any potential damage could have been done to my engine in the 14 mile drive home?
The engine is a 2.4S and was rebuilt appr. 2k miles ago. While driving it home, I didn't notice anything wrong. The engine showed excellent oil pressure and is was not blowing any smoke. However, it was smoking in the compartment which is the reason I looked at the engine when I got home.
After finding out about the body shop guy's mistake, I emptied appr 5 quarts from the reserve tank and refilled the oil it to the proper level and fired it up. Engine seems to be running fine. I also mopped up the oil under the engine as well as in the engine compartment area.
What potential damge am I looking at, and are my engine seals shot?
Thanks

PS - Words to the Wise: Don't let anyone touch your 911 without making sure they know they understand not to touch anything other than what they are being paid to do!

Old 01-07-2004, 12:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Your engine will not be damaged..

The seals will be unaffected, since the pressure escaped via the airbox..

Messy, but nothing to worry about..

Next time make sure the engines idling and warm when you/body-guy top her up... heh heh

Good excuse to clean your engine bay..

Doog
Old 01-07-2004, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
I did this....what a goof I felt like on the side of the road with oil everywhere (I attempted to drain a small amount into a container) because the pressure knocked the oil plug out of my hands! No damage...just a big mess and lesson learned! In the dog world we call this "One Trial Learning".
2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 01-07-2004, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
....and in the people world " A Homer Simpson DOOOHHHHHHHHH !!! "
'95 993 C4 M030, SOLD
PCA San Diego
Old 01-07-2004, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the calming reassurance. I cleaned up the engine area and took it for a nice drive yesterday morning. No more leakage...
Old 01-08-2004, 02:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
nice body shop guy. he tried.

Old 01-08-2004, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: