Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

Poll: What should I do with the classifieds section?
Poll Options
What should I do with the classifieds section?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Author of "101 Projects"

Opinion needed on BBS / Classifieds change...

I'm thinking of canning the classifieds section for selling cars, and making it a separate forum, similar to the Porsche Parts sales forum. It would be a lot more flexible, and would be attached to the site. The classifieds section seems to get a lot of traffice.

This this a good idea or a poor one?

For reference, here's the cars for sale classifieds:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

Here is the parts classifieds:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/

-Wayne

Old 01-07-2004, 12:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good idea.
BMW 1200 GS Adv&BMW 100/7
F350 Diesel
Old 01-07-2004, 01:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Don't you already have that?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/?daysprune=45

The link above is to a different vehicle classifieds, than the one you posted.

But I agree, the one you posted doesn't get found very easy. I did look at it a lot when I was searching for my car though.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have been on the site for years and did not even know there WAS a car classified section. Make it more visible.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Great idea. It will most likely get more use.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Wayne, the classified section is great! I have bought several items with it. Can you set it up so the person who posted it can delete after the item is sold?
Old 01-07-2004, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Friend of Warren

I think there are a number of people like Thomas that don't know what all is part of this BBS. A number of times I have linked to Pelican parts diagrams and will get messages asking me where I got the diagram. I bet most people like me just have the 911 Board as their link to Pelican Parts and don't even realize that it isn't the main home page.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Good point, Kurt. I'd be interested to see how most people got here in the first place. I found Pelican through Google....directly to this Tech Forum. I made it a Favorite and didn't browse the rest of the Pelican site for quite some time.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Autodidactic user

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Owen
I have been on the site for years and did not even know there WAS a car classified section. Make it more visible.
DITTO!!

1973 911E Targa (MFI)
Old 01-07-2004, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I think you should change the format, offer additional features and charge a slight fee for listing. Kind of like a trader online for Porsche only.

Make it really sweet and develop "soft" seller/buyer ratings,
without the comments section like on Ebay, just % ratio of positive sales and negative completed transactions. I realize there are potential logistics/confirmation issues with this idea.

Might as well make it profitable/break even, or is all of this server space free?

Last edited by Embs; 01-07-2004 at 06:25 AM..
Old 01-07-2004, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Used User

I think Wayne is talking about the CAR classifieds and some here are referring to the parts classifieds. But the idea of following up and deleting sold items is very good. A better way to od that on all ads is to have an automatic expiration date. You still got it? Relist it.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
This may not be feasible, but sure would be nice if buyers could register some key words for items they need and when the seller posts his goodies, a notification email is dispatched to buyer as a heads up.

For example, if I'm looking for a 'targa top' or 'sway bar', and the system can scan a seller's post listing such items, I will know to go take a look.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I agree, Wayne. Can the car classified & combine it with the parts for sale.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I think create a new forum- Cars Classifieds in the standard format (like the parts forum). That way it will be searchable.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
A very good idea, Wayne. The parts classifieds board is easily accessed and scanned in a short time. Also a good format for the cars for sale, IMO.

'72 911E Coupe
Early "S" #1065
Old 01-07-2004, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jadams1
Wayne, the classified section is great! I have bought several items with it. Can you set it up so the person who posted it can delete after the item is sold?
You can already do this if you are the original poster. You just use the edit button, and then delete the post.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Better instructions on using the entire Pelican site. I have stumbled across more than I found what I was looking for. The key is always getting people to read the instructions. What does that guy say about it's easier if there's a picture on the box??

I think it would be a good idea to have an "entire car" sales site only.

Gruppe B # 3911

http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/cassidyp
Old 01-07-2004, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The old cars for sale section is hard to find, most don't even know it exists. Putting it in with the parts classifieds is a very good idea.

A bit off topic - why are there two parts classifieds? Only one gets used, but it sure is confusing.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I thought all the cars for sale were in the parts classifieds, go figure. Why not just do an all up classified section?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Better instructions on using the entire Pelican site. I have stumbled across more than I found what I was looking for. The key is always getting people to read the instructions. What does that guy say about it's easier if there's a picture on the box??

I think it would be a good idea to have an "entire car" sales site only.

Gruppe B # 3911

http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/cassidyp
Old 01-07-2004, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: