Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Vinyl pimp

Garage
To complicate matters....Boge struts can take other manufacturer's inserts....

Since you live in a non-DIY area, best to take it to an alignment/brake/shock shop that is P-car friendly and let them decide what they are....order the inserts and if they are wrong they eat the shipping. Installation is pretty cheap and they can check your alignment, ride height and balance for you at the same time....

Some things are best left to the shops that have the right equipment.

Old 01-07-2004, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Easier said than done. I live in an enclosed garage building whose management has a serious problem with people working on their vehicles.
I once got booted from a garage in the middle of my first engine drop. I rented another garage where work was also forbidden, and trailered the car over there. Still not quite sure how I got away with that.

You never realize how loud a drill is until you are using it in a rented garage below someone else's apartment...at 1AM in a bad neighborhood.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

This may help ( maybe not) as a summary

Koni shocks are Red ( typ. "normal" valving) or Yellow ( typ. "sport" valving).

Bilstein can be green or yellow.

However, boge FRONT STRUTS ( typ black housing) can accommodate either Boge or Koni or Bilstein INSERTS.

I have Red Koni inserts INSIDE my OEM Boge front strut housings and run Yellow/Sport Koni's ( special non-gas) for the rear...plainly visible.

--Wil Ferch
Old 01-07-2004, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

We are talking apples and oranges. I think the original question was about the color of the strut, most of the answers are the about the color of the insert.

I beleive the following to be true:

Struts:

Red = koni
Green = bilstein
Black or yellow = boge

Inserts:

Bilstein HD or Sport for bilstein = Chrome
Bilstein HD for boge = green
Bilstein Sport for boge = yellow

Koni regular = red
Koni sport = yellow

Boge = yellow

For the rears it's almost the same, except the bilsteins are all painted.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Chuck...you are correct sir. I am trying to ID what the insert would be based upon the color of the housing. There is conflicting information between Tweeks and Pelican so just trying to figure out what the correct answer is.
'88 Carrera (Sold)
Old 01-07-2004, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

How about the rears? Mine are yellow. Still possibly Boge?
'88 Carrera (Sold)
Old 01-07-2004, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Stupid idea -- order from Pelican, pull the part, then if it's the wrong one, call them up and exchange it. More of a hassle than doing it this so-called "right way," by understanding what you have on it right now, but it's definitely a solution. Good luck,

Dan
Old 01-07-2004, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
To complcate things even further they have changed color over the years. My Bilstein front struts have always been green, but my Bilstein rear shocks were green oem, but are now yellow aftermarket

Go figure?
Old 01-07-2004, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
my konis are stamped and have a part#.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I think Chuck summarized it pretty well.

However, I didn't realize Boge struts were painted yellow. On early cars, Boge strut housings were all black.

Pelican and Tweeks are both correct in what they were talking about; one was describing the strut insert or shock housing while the other described the strut housing.

Rear:
The shock is exposed; the brand and part number should be stamped on the housing.

In Front:
Shock insert is inside the McPherson strut.

If the strut housing is factory-painted red, the insert inside should be a Koni (red or yellow).

If the strut housing is factory-painted green, the insert inside should be a Bilstein of some type.

If the strut housing is factory-painted black, the insert inside could be Bilstein, Koni, Boge or any number of aftermarket brands. However, Koni Sports (yellow) are adjusted with a plastic knob as shown by Mike's photo. He also says his Koni reds (front) use a screwdriver slot to externally adjust. I haven't seen this (what year 911?). I know that early 911 Koni reds were adjusted by collapsing the strut to engage an internal "foot" at which point one rotates the foot to adjust (front and rear).

Sorry if I'm being redundant.

Sherwood
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars
Old 01-07-2004, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

The plastic knob comes off-they only ship one with the shocks. My recently intalled Koni reds have this setup-its just a turn to adjust deal. The top of the shock rod is machined on both sides to leave a "nub" that fits into the knob.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 01-07-2004, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Vinyl pimp

Garage
Geez, 30+ responses to a question that can be answered by going to a shop and asking WTF is this????

This is worse than Lawyer 101.....%^B

Old 01-07-2004, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: