Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to yellow911turbo
ben: select the parts of the car you want to change the color and change the hue.

Old 01-10-2004, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Thanks, but ...

Photoshop beginner here! How do I do that?

Ben
Old 01-10-2004, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to yellow911turbo
it's hard to explain. try the magic wand tool. i don't remember the shortcut key - it may be 'W' - i don't have photoshop on this computer. hold down shift and keep clicking on the color you want to select until you're satisifed. then you can go into quickmask mode to erase the little areas that the wand didn't get. after going back into normal mode you should have the paint selected. make sure everything around the car isn't selected instead. if it is, invert the selection by pressing "ctrl + I" once you have it selected, go to hue/saturation in the menu bar. i don't remember the category that it's under. sorry... hard to do it from memory. hope it helps.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Many thanks for that. My laptop with Photoshop on it is off being fixed, but I'll give that a go when I get it back. :-)

Ben
Old 01-10-2004, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Stop the insanity, don't do it!, please no stop, those are both such nice cars, if you really want decals just put a PCA sticker in the window.....

I'll come over there, I mean it, snow or not
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 01-10-2004, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
yeah, I'm with Bob (he obviously knows the right year of car). The only reason for the decal is so you can read what kind of car it is from a distance. If you don't know the shape by now, I think we have other problems...
Old 01-10-2004, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
I like them as they lend a vintage-race feel to the car. As Jack says, they're decals, they can come off easily.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Would these be better?

I especially like the bling bling ones...
Old 01-10-2004, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Both of your cars are such clean, good looking examples. I'd leave them, as is.
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 01-10-2004, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by exc911ence
Would these be better?

I especially like the bling bling ones...
Bada-bling, bada-boom!"
IMO: decals are for cars that aren't nice enough on their own. No offense to those that have them. I'm just a purist when it comes to older cars. The orginality of the old P-car is cooler than a sticker.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Ooh, ooh! Find a set of those bling-bling dragon decals for your 912! That would be 31337!!

In all seriousness, I prefer the look on your 912, but will still cast my vote on the pile that says "please don't desecrate your beautiful car with decals." I've always believed that the real beauty, and in fact the character, of the 912 was in it's simplicity. While I do like the look of K9's tinted windows, I don't think I would have gone there, for the same reason I wouldn't put decals on one. Perhaps simple side decals don't break the image of a true purist's sports car, but I don't think I'd have the guts to do that to mine.

Dan

'86 3.2L
Old 01-10-2004, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by djmcmath
Ooh, ooh! Find a set of those bling-bling dragon decals for your 912! That would be 31337!!
OMG! What does that mean?!? I'm so unhip it's amazing my bum doesn't fall off...
Old 01-10-2004, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by ben@benlovejoy.
Off-topic, but as good a thread as any to ask ...

Can any of the resident Photoshop experts point me to a tutorial on how to use it to change the colour of a car? I can dab paint over it, but I've seen pics where people are seemingly remapping a colour.

Many thanks!

Ben
Simplest way:
Go to Image/Adjustments/Hue&Saturation (or click Control+U on PC, Command+U on Mac). Slide the Hue slider back and forth along with the Saturation and lightness to get the right tone. To be fancy and change the car color without changing the rest of the image draw a lasso mask (Click "L" on the keyboard to select the lasso tool) using a 5-15 pixel feather before you do the Hue&Saturation thing.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to moazam
Quote:
Originally posted by djmcmath
Translation =

"Ooh, ooh! Find a set of those garrish shiny dragon decals for your 912! That would be elite!"

Oh well. As long as yall don't put yer whips on dubs and floss yer grills with all that ice.

'86 911 Carrera (Gone to Aruba)
Old 01-10-2004, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Whoops, there goes my butt... clunk! I'm still in the dark... is this what getting old feels like?
Old 01-10-2004, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Thanks

Quote:
To be fancy and change the car color without changing the rest of the image draw a lasso mask (Click "L" on the keyboard to select the lasso tool) using a 5-15 pixel feather before you do the Hue&Saturation thing.
Great, thanks!

Can't wait to get my main laptop back to have a play.

Ben
Old 01-11-2004, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Well, this is going to kill some of you but as of today, my car is officially striped. Pics:

More here: http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/Wind

Personally, I love the look and since it's my car, nuts to you naysayers!
Old 02-03-2004, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
One word: Excellent!
Old 02-03-2004, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
i knew you were going to do it despite the feedback.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, I'm stubborn that way...

Old 02-03-2004, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: