Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Bilsteins in Boge....rubber bumber ?

The Bilstein Sports arrived today. I took the old inserts out and torqued the new ones in......pretty straight forward.

I pulled out my Bentley that I have for my '88 to make sure I have not missed anything and I see a pic showing a "rubber bumper" that slides over the strut piston. Well, there was no such thing in the bilstein that was in the Boge so I'm questioning if there should be or not.

Let me know what you think..........thanks in advance.
'77 Yamaha RD 400
Old 01-16-2004, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I believe that there should be a bumper that goes over the piston rod and under the strut cover. If the car is lowered, then the stock bumper is cut up to about half size. This rubber bumper keeps the shock from bottoming out, my old rear Bilsteins had bumpers, but I don't have any actual knowledge if front Bilsteins require same.
https://picasaweb.google.com/102059909841735131107
http://www.youtube.com/user/958Fan#p/u
Old 01-16-2004, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No bumper required. It is built in. I just put some on also. That rubber washer that came with them is to be thrown away. It is for packing purposes only. Actually, I recommend keeping it as it will come in handy some day...

-- There are only those that know and those that do not!!! --
Old 01-16-2004, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The bilstein in boge does have a bumper, but you can't see it. It is contained inside the lower shock body. If you disassemble the lower case, there you will see it.

The pictures you see in Bentley are of boge shocks, or koni shocks. Bilstein is different in that it is an "inverted" shock. The fluid and piston are up top exactly opposite boge and koni shocks, that is why the shaft is so thick. The lower casing encloses a narrow shaft, and your mystery bump stop.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting . . . learn something new everyday here . . . probably because I am Bilstein challenged in favor of Koni (imposed by koni front strut housings).
Old 01-16-2004, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

You would see it in either Bilstein Rears, or bilstein fronts in bilstein struts, but as stated above, bilstein in boge housings don't have it (as a separate part)
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-16-2004, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Chuck, Steve.....Thank You.

Steve you bring up an additional question. I also purchased Bilstein Sport rears......should I be cutting the rubber stops down or installing as is from Bilstein?
'77 Yamaha RD 400
Old 01-16-2004, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You should cut your stops down, front and rear, if you have lowered the car aggressively - say 1 inch lower than Euro height or more.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Chuck, I've lowered mine to euro (25" rear/25 1/2" front), and I did not cut my stops down, but was intending to just that (based upon recent threads). Are you saying I should be OK without cutting them down at that height? I haven't driven it REAL aggressively yet, as I'm still got a slight rubbing issue, but I haven't noticed any bottoming out (yet). As always, thanks!
Old 01-17-2004, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Guys, the absolutes here are:
1) The suspension should absolutely not ever be riding on the shock bumpers while cornering! Makes for terrible handling. Imagine a rear that normally has 800 #/in suspension and gets on the shock bumpers at 3000 #/in. Instant over-steer. If the fronts bottom, it pushes in bumps same reason.
2) You should never cut the rubber bumpers so the shock can bottom-out on a big bump (like an off track excursion or pot-hole.) A single bottoming will destroy the shock.
Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 01-17-2004, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

True words of wisdom from Grady,.....

If the car is low enough to bottom the shocks (even with cut down bump rubbers) then either raise it back up or install struts with raised spindles and shorter rear shocks to restore the lost travel from lowering.

Don't forget about proper bump steer corrrection, too.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 01-17-2004, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
As usual....lots of great info here. A couple of questions to the experts:

Chuck indicated my Boge strut/Bilstein Sport combo has the bump rubber built in to the Bilstein strut. This would appear to be a down side to the Boge strut since I am unable to cut the stops. So, is there a certain ride height I should not go beyond? I'll be running 22/29's , bump steer spacer and was hoping to lower the front to 25.

As for the rears, is it safe to assume the rear bumper of the Bilstein Sport should be cut in half if I want to lower to 24 1/2

Thanks in advance.
'77 Yamaha RD 400
Old 01-17-2004, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Craig:

24.5" is THE lowest I would go with stock length shocks.

You may trim 1/3 of the bump stop rubbers but I would check and confirm how much suspension travel you have with a pair of tie-wraps on the rear shock shafts.

Remember, if Bilstein shocks bottom out (even momentarily), the internal piston hits the floating separator between the oil and gas chambers and starts the mixing process. They do not warranty these kinds of failures.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 01-17-2004, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Steve, et al . . . would the 24.5 rear measurement be with a tire/wheel combo that measures 25" over all, or 24" or does it matter??

I set my car's ride hieght at 24.5/25 with 205/55s on 16" rims which have an OD of 25" no problems with bottoming shocks.

My track set up has an OD of 24" which lowers the car 1/2" but does not change the travel length of shocks because the suspension geometry is not different.

What if I had set the ride height to 24.5 with the 24" OD wheel/tire combo??? Wouldn't that reduce the amount of shock travel available by 1/2" ??? And if so wouldn't that mean that the shock would bottom sooner?

The above assumes torsion bars are in the 21/28 range.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: