Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
911 carrera 3.2 (1985)

Porsche Crest Rubber hose

Want to replace a rubber hose, but how do I make it as wide as the old one without tearing it apart (the length is just OK, so I can't waste any length).

Thanks,

Kees.

I know the new one looks a little smaller (diameter) as the old one, but it is the OEM part.

Last edited by kees; 01-19-2004 at 06:15 AM..
Old 01-18-2004, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Cut the end of your old hose off and connect it with a piece of copper tube. Coat the end, inside and out with black silicone to make sure you have a good seal.
00 GMC Sierra
Old 01-18-2004, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
If you are going to create a connector, use a couple clamps to make sure it stays on. Otherwise try "sizing: the new hose: find something larger than the current opening with a tapered diameter so that it gets wider as you move away from the end and push it in there to stretch it. Some heat (to make it more plyable) and a little dishsoap will help. Once it's stretched, go another size bigger... I am not familiar with that hose but some hoses can be heated enough to actually stretch them to a permenant new size. Do you have enough to cut a piece off the end try it?
Old 01-18-2004, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
911 carrera 3.2 (1985)

Porsche Crest

Thanks Toolman and Pors-sha911.

I can't create a connector (see pic), but I will try sizing the new hose.

Kees.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Your right, that one ain't gonna work. You could also try to get a few inches of the larger size and whittle the end of the braided hose down to fit inside, and affix (glue) it together since it is only a vacume hose. 3M super trim adhesive works well glueing rubber together.
00 GMC Sierra
Old 01-19-2004, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Cool

I would try a coupling. a short larger dia to fit the male fitting and, hopefully, fit the new line into.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 01-19-2004, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Schleprock

You could also try a vaccuum fitting coupling (like Ron said) that has a different size barbed fitting on either end. You can find these at most any parts store. Usually in little rip-off priced packages called "Vacu-Tite"
Old 01-19-2004, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
911 carrera 3.2 (1985)

Porsche Crest

Is this a solution?

I am asking this, because I don't know if it is wrong that the connecting piece is sticking in the charcoal canister? What goes through the tube, fuel or vapour?

Thanks,
Kees.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Certified Pre-Owned

What you did in your last picture is exactly what I did. I just turned a fitting on the lathe. The hose sizes from factory don't make a lotta sense...

There is fuel vapor being pulled through by vacuum, venting the tank and trapping the fuel vapor in the charcoal canister.

-BG
Old 01-20-2004, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
911 carrera 3.2 (1985)

Porsche Crest Fixed.

Quote:
Originally posted by BGCarrera32
What you did in your last picture is exactly what I did. I just turned a fitting on the lathe. The hose sizes from factory don't make a lotta sense...

There is fuel vapor being pulled through by vacuum, venting the tank and trapping the fuel vapor in the charcoal canister.

-BG
Before

After

Thanks,

Kees.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Irrational exuberant

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by BGCarrera32
What you did in your last picture is exactly what I did. I just turned a fitting on the lathe.
You guys with your cool tools make me jealous! You're always saying something like this:
"So I grabbed some Titanium stock I had lying around the shop and chucked it in the lathe, turned it down and bingo- new brake caliper pistons."
-Chris
Old 01-25-2004, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBennet
You guys with your cool tools make me jealous! You're always saying something like this:
"So I grabbed some Titanium stock I had lying around the shop and chucked it in the lathe, turned it down and bingo- new brake caliper pistons."
-Chris
LOL...

And of course 'and the design is much improved over factory'...

Cheers!

'89 930, '97 TLC (Toyota Land Cruiser), '96 T-100pick-em-up
'95 BMW R100 GSPD (gone but not forgotten), '07 BMW R1200GSA
Old 01-25-2004, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Guys, quit your whining and look at the potential for a major FIRE. Look at How did it catch fire?
and ask yourself how you want your fuel system integrity to be. Super safe or "other."

Yes, you can improve over Factory, given 40 years of 911.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 01-29-2004, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
911 carrera 3.2 (1985)

Porsche Crest

Grady,

That's exactly why I was posting this topic, though it was a minor repair I was doing. I'm just starting the DIY on my car and I enjoy it very much, but I have to ask a lot (better save than sorry).
In the future I like to do the more "sophisticated" jobs I see on this board.

Kees.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Kees,
Good for you. You will get lots of help on these forums.
Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 01-29-2004, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Kees,

I hope you sealed that coupling and pressure tested it. As mentioned above, that line is for fuel vapor... can you say "explosive cloud" ?

Looks like a good solution as long as it doesn't leak... and obviously better than what came off!
Old 01-29-2004, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
911 carrera 3.2 (1985)

Porsche Crest

Charlie,

Thanks for your concern.

It is pressure tested and according to the official Porsche main dealership's chief technician it's OK (they are really helpful).

Kees.

Last edited by kees; 01-30-2004 at 06:47 AM..
Old 01-30-2004, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Like the guy said in Army of Darkness:

Groovy.

Old 01-30-2004, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: