Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Custom exhaust system (A love story.

Well, I get to do this ALL OVER AGAIN... because a few minutes ago the BBS decided I put too many pictures on this thread. So, here is the abreviated story:

As some of you know, I am in the process of fabing my own dual in dual out exhaust system. Everything was going fine until I realized the Dynomax muffler I bought was built to have both inlets on one side and both outlets on the other side. As my car has SSI's I obviously need one inlet on each side and one outlet on each side.

So, since I had alreay hacked the Dynomax muffler up a bit and tack welded mandrel bends I knew I couldn't return it.
This is my story:

I decided it was worth a try to rework the interior tubing in the chamber to to make this thing work.

Here is how the muffler was set up.

This is what I wanted:

SO I put on my latex gloves, grabbed my scalpel and started tearing this thing apart.
I opened up the muffler body and removed the fiberglass packing. It looked just like the picture above. Two parallel perferated pipes (with a pied piper).
I removed the pipes by grinding off the welds at the ends. I then used card board and made a template of the chamber area.
Then I transfered the template to a piece of sheetmetal that was made out of a sectioned and flattened piece of scrap tubing. I welded this piece in the center of the muffler to create two chambers.

It looked like this:

I then cut four inches out of the center of both perferated tubes and reinstalled them... like this:

I then repacked the chambers with the fiberglass and welded it back up.

The result???

.................................................. It's.............................................. .................................................. ..................................... IT'S............................................

Old 01-19-2004, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

FRANKENMUFFLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2004, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I believe there is a law against that in California.

Then again, there is a law against *everything* in California.

Good thing my son was already asleep...I don't want him to look at such metallic audacity...too young.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Here are a few more pics:

My hightec tube cutting system:

My welder:

My floor jack (sponsered by Pelican Parts)

My disaster area:

Old 01-19-2004, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
OMG! It lives!

Check out my books on Amazon: Under Big Sky, and Achieving Lasting Happiness
Old 01-19-2004, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Bye, Bye.

I see you still have the John Walker's Workshop license plate frame.

Nice custom fabrication. Never say die, just rip it apart and make it work.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

....Never give up.... Never surender....
Old 01-19-2004, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Now I'm gonna have nightmares!!
Let's hear it!! Post a sound file!!
'88 Jaguar XJS
'97 YZF1000RJ
Islander 36
Old 01-19-2004, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

Lee,

You need to put a few more stitches in it ... you REALLy need to have a crossove pipe inside!!! A 2" ID one would suffice ... 3/4 of the length of the internal width ...

Otherwise, you will be giving up a bit of 'free' torque and BASS!

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 01-19-2004, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Leland,
Did I lose a post somewhere between the beginning and where we are now? You said you wanted to create a crossover flow path inside; inlet at the bottom of one side to an outlet at the top of the other side.

However, you then proceeded to install a wall inside the shell to create two essentially separate chambers; each inlet and it's outlet are now on the same side. What was the purpose of the change in strategy? Any noticeable difference besides the noise factor? No flat spots?

Sherwood
Old 01-19-2004, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Muahahahahaha!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Couldn't you have done something like this?

Please forgive the crappy drawing, I don't have a program that's very good at this sort of thing. I need to get one.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-19-2004, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

This is exactly what I suggested in the other thread, though without the beautiful CAD drawing.

Seems like this would work?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I couldn't make it work that way, Steve. In order to get the mandrel bends to turn 90 degrees down and then another 90 degrees back. It took up too much room. Plus the inlet pipe and exit pipe would hiy each other.
It is hard to describe.

Anyway, I know I made a mess. If for nothing else, this was just good welding practice and I enjoyed every second of it.
I have looked high and low for a cross flow muffler of any brand that is 14" in length. There are none to be found. The shortest one I found was 18" long. This makes it too wide to fit between the SSI's outlets.

So, most likely the old muffler will have to go back on. But not before I try FRANKENMUFF.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Leland Pate

I have looked high and low for a cross flow muffler of any brand that is 14" in length. There are none to be found.
Leland. The Magnaflow has a 14" body. It is real. I've seen it. Sounds great. Cheap muffler. It's the same size as Frankenmuffler!

Old 01-20-2004, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Leland, I think Magnaflow has changed #'s. You want the 11386 or the 14386. You can get it in stainless if you want. In this muffler, the perforated pipes form an "X" inside the muffler. Very low restriction.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Well, I went through the catalogs for all brands at a local muffler shop and the only ones I could find were the 18" Monte Carlo crossflows.

Ok, I give. Where did you guys find the Magnaflow part numbers?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Leland Pate

Ok, I give. Where did you guys find the Magnaflow part numbers?
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/ss.htm
Old 01-20-2004, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Well, It does look like Frankies forehead,
I hope you put a good brain in there? AB Normal something ?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Geez- and here I just BOUGHT a muffler that was ready to bolt up. What's next? getting a big cube of aluminum and carving yourself some new wheels?

Congrats.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: