Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Pelicanites at Willow 1/21

There was a bunch of us out there today running with opentrackracing.com . The weather was clear, cool (about 65 degrees) and calm till the famous willow "breeze" kicked up. Luckily it wasn't too much so no horizontal dirt showers (unless you count the Corvette and BMW that spun!) All the Porsche guys aquitted themselves well- some of them having never been on a track before. Tyson, Jack-O , and myself were busy giving instructions and we all enjoyed it. Fastest Pelicanite was Jack, then myself in the evil cockaroach (914-6), then Magnus in the Spirit of America Serious Special (RS replica) . Tyson didn't bring Scruffy (in the middle of more mods- jeez!). Silvrsurfr (Ryan) got to strretch the 3.6's legs- nice car there! As well as Paul in his 3.2 77S. DD74 had a great time in the yellow roller skate of his- potent ride. Noel- in the yellow GT3 was VERY fast, and Norm in the red SC had a great time. Apologies to those people I missed. Great way to spend a "winter" day in so cal. Jack will post pix later

Old 01-21-2004, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

Dave: you've shown me the light, my friend. I never knew my car was able to do what you demonstrated to me. It was pure poetry how a little narrow body could keep itself planted at quite the speed we were achieving. You're an outstanding instructor. I took everything you showed me and applied it to my solo sessions -- and it worked. Now it's just a matter of steeling my nerve. BTW: I have to apologize: I did use 5th gear on the straights. I wanted to "up" the fear factor a little. And it worked!

Of course Tyson got hold of my car and took me for a ride. I think he would've killed most other cars that aren't as strong as Porsches. Tyson, armed with my little bastard, was forcing over Corvettes and Turbo Porsches. He had the car drifting. He was trail-braking, and by the end of it all, had me hyperventilating.

This thing is damn addicting. I'm doing it again as soon as possible.

P.S. of course, where would I be without TRE preparing my car? Probably at work wondering why my life is so boring.

Thanks, Dave. It was great!
Old 01-21-2004, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey Dave, thanks for the warning!

I had a great time, the highlight of my day being a drive in Jack's car - that thing is wild - showed me what's really possible with a car!

turn 4
Old 01-21-2004, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

you are welcome- he was sitting there at the bottom of avenue I, and i knew we were on his menu....
Great day- eh?
Old 01-21-2004, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
You guys are awesome! Thanks for the great instruction and the great company. We, my wife Kristy, Dad Norm, Stepmom Linda, and myself all had a great time.

Sorry my family seems like a curse for you Jack, but thanks so much for helping out and giving rides, they loved it.

I'm uploading video now & will post something in a couple days.

Old 01-21-2004, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

*jealous*
Old 01-21-2004, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ajackson
Here are some decent pictures I took today. Definatly a completely different experience than anything else I've ever done. Can't wait to get out there again. Pictures of me driving my car to come...

GT3 cup car driven by some guys preparing for Daytona:

Jack took some damage watching a corvette leave the track (notice the cracked headlight):

Most of the porsches that were there together:

Last edited by ajackson; 01-21-2004 at 07:38 PM..
Old 01-21-2004, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by GrindingGears
*jealous*
Very!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Really wanted to get out there today, but work issues kept me in the office. Looks like another great day with some fantastic Porsche's.

Dave (dd74) Tyson does know how to bring a car to its limits, ask me how I know.

Ryan, look forward to hearing how your experience was with the 3.6

Jack, did the broom cam get used?

Dave (TRE) having seen the cockarouch on the open road I have a feeling that Jack wasnt all that much faster.

Tyson, Now what are you up to with scruffy?

Hopefully I can make the Feb date if work doesnt kill me first.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Man, I'm PO'ed that I didn't make it, next time for sure! Jack can usually be counted on, but Dave and Tyson are a lot less common at these weekday events. Every one of these informal track session things is always a blast.

The good news is that I have managed to cancel this weekend's business trip and will make Mulholland. (Yeah!). And plan on POC streets event on Feb. 1st, maybe, but that is Dunkel's weekend so maybe not. Gawd, we have some high-quality problems around here.

Glad that everyone had a good time! Fun, ain't it?
Old 01-21-2004, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I think Tyson is looking for things to drill out. Speed holes, baby...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
So can the short track series be done with no "experience"? I can't make the DE/#1, but could do #2 or 3...is that a viable way to go?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
PRO Motorsports

Yep, I put some "speed holes" in my mag stacks, and didn't have time to finish "adding lightness". (Only 174 more pounds to go!)

Nostatic, you can start the Short Track Series whenever you want to. The soomer the better though! You'll have a blast!

That event was the most seat time I've ever gotten without actually signing up for the event! Instructing is almost more fun than competing.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I like Dave's instruction:

"Wide, wide, wide...in, in, in, gas, gas, gas, late apex, late apex, late apex..."

And then there was Tyson's declaration: "I'm afraid of your brakes!"

And my mumbled prayers while Tyson drove: Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
Hey Cook, welcome aboard!

I was going to go, but there are just too many events these days, and I'm also sick right now

-Wayne
Dude, do you think you'll make Mulholland? Take some Vitamin C.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

It was another great day at the track. The guys with experience pitched in to help the newcomers, and everyone had a great time -- particularly the engines, in the nice, cool, desert air.

The Corvette that spun out in front of me gave me a host of new paint chips and a broken headlight, but I also set a new personal best time on street tires (1:32.71, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KD's).

Here are some more pictures.

Dave B, Magnus and Alan:

David D, Tyson, and Ryan:

Four hours of sleep, and helmet hair, on yours truly:

The line-up:

Old 01-22-2004, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Great photos, Jack. How'd you get the overhead angled shot of our cars? Were you standing on the roof of one of those Vipers?
Old 01-22-2004, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Administrator

And videos...

The 'Broomstick Cam' was replaced by a 'Stuck-to-the-Rear-Wing Cam.'

Here's a short clip of the car leaving the paddock:

Starter

Here's a full lap of Jack and a passenger:

Jack Lap

Here's a full lap of Tyson driving with Jack as a passenger:

Tyson Lap

There are three points on each lap video where the sun overwhelms my camera. Don't try to adjust your computer. It won't last long.

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 01-22-2004 at 12:26 AM..
Old 01-22-2004, 12:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dd74
Great photos, Jack. How'd you get the overhead angled shot of our cars? Were you standing on the roof of one of those Vipers?
Standing on the hot pit wall, which of course is not allowed.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: