Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Come on! I work with many Porsche dealers and independent shops on
a daily basis and see all the problems. Where have you been lately?

Maybe the Porsche Factory sent us in the USA all the bad late model
cars. Also, could it be that you're in Porsche Marketing in Stuttgart?
Porsche in the late '90s and 2000s would be a great biz school case
study.

Issues:

1. Who's Porsche's target market?
2. What's Porsche's "rent" strategy? (low cost producer, tech/style leader, etc.)
3. Does Porsche have manufacturing under control or too much outsourcing?
4. Has Porsche properly upgraded its dealer network?
5. Has Porsche provided adequate customer service and tech training?

How about hiring some Harvard grads? These are competitive times in the 2000s.
The Japanese play hard ball, e.g. Nissan sports car, Lexus SUV - Cayenne?

Maybe I shouldn't be saying this, since I'm a stockholder in PorscheAG.

Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone
Old 01-24-2004, 12:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Monkey with a mouse

O.K., bin ich im Marketing bei Porsche in Stuttgart!

Traurig, aber wir haben einen harten Zeitpunkt mit den 993 und die 996 Motoren.

Wie kein anderer Motor sind diese Motoren schrecklich! Bitte erklären Sie nicht niemand, das ich Ihnen erklärte, daß dieses, aber alle Leute besseres Kaufen die frühen Motoren Porsche sind.

Lieben Sie, Kurt

http://starnes.com/
Old 01-24-2004, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

My German is very limited especially at this time of the night. I will
comment, though, that the quality of your engine and car is impressive.
Given this, I can't believe that you would waste time on Ebay versus other
venues for your higher quality Porsche needs. I doubt very much if
many quality cars, as displayed by you, could be found on Ebay.
Quality cars always find quality buyers without having to resort to an
Ebay sale.
Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone
Old 01-24-2004, 12:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Monkey with a mouse

Seriously Loren,

Now we are on the topic of Porsche marketing?

Sheesh, NoStatic just found a nice 993 on Ebay. He's a sharp guy and would not buy a car without checking it out! He's proven to be a very savvy buyer, no?! There are entire threads that depict his thoroughness and meticulous nature.

I am sure he is very aware of the 993 3.6, thanks to his own smarts and the help of this BBS. I would bet he is quite aware of the weaknesses in the 993 motor.

I think he is willing to make a calculated risk and I think he is very capable of doing so.

Kurt

Old 01-24-2004, 12:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
Ok, I translated it Kurt and I agree there are minor issues with every motor but that is not a big deal. As for the cool collar cup holder...not sure I can pull mine for that since it is my only secondary cooler to the Mocal. I am sure if I pulled it the Mocal would not be enough! Ha Ha So maybe I could order another one for use as a cup holder...do they keep the drinks cool?
2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 01-24-2004, 12:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Monkey with a mouse

One last post for the night:

I bought that car on eBay. Seriously. I made lots of changes, of course, but it was purchased on eBay . . . shifter and all.

Again, eBay is just another marketplace, no worse or no better than any other. Caveat Emptor applies wherever you shop.

Good night, Sir.

Kurt

Old 01-24-2004, 12:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
Oh, very nice car Kurt.

So Todd, are you in the market for a 993? I know I want one when I return to the US and would like to feel out the market for some time before I buy.
2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 01-24-2004, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Agreed. I won't comment about anyone personally, though. I don't claim to be
an expert (and far from it). I speak from personal experience with those cars.
Many who post see the late cars only superficially which is highly impressive.

The model life cycle these days on the late cars is 2 to 3 years at the most
which is half the 3.2. It's difficult for Porsche to compete and maintain the old
quality. Most consumers don't see this and the resulting quality reduction
which is the case for most here on this forum. Furthermore, there's little
detailed discussion here and on Rennlist too. Most of the 993 and 996 owners
really are not into Porsche BBSs as with the older Porsche cars. Most 933/996
owners are interested in what polish to use by their detail guy.
Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone
Old 01-24-2004, 12:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorenfb
....................Most 933/996 owners are interested in what polish to use by their detail guy.
A sound testament to the reliability of the engine!
Old 01-24-2004, 01:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
NOSTATIC…must be a bug going around. I saw this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10156&item=2454623587

last Friday night. I must have looked at it for 30 minutes. The remainder of last weekend, I spent scheming up ways to get a spare 20k and selling the current 88 911 to get this. Cashing in the kids paid-for college education here in FL, trying to convince the wife that this will be the last thing I will ever buy or need, and even donating some major organ or limb to science for $20k were all considered. The fever broke late Sunday night.

Sure love those fat-bottomed Porsche's.

oh....and if anyone on this board buys this car....I'll kill ya!

Jason
88 911 Cab

Last edited by cicsprog; 01-24-2004 at 03:20 AM..
Old 01-24-2004, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
17 years and 17k posts...

Garage
I have purchased two cars through eBay (VW Westfalia and my '74 911) as well as two drumsets, parts for cars, parts for drums, etc... and have never had a bad experience. As a matter of fact, I have always been more than satisfied with the item I purchased after I received it. eBay is no different from any other form of advertising, except it's worldwide.... Check out the car thoroughly before you buy it and you are OK.
www.ford.com
Old 01-24-2004, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
nice doggie

Well I don't know. Looking at the first 993 I notice that it has a radar detector. I would worry that it might have been used for speeding.

78 SC hotrod
02 Mini Cooper S
Old 01-24-2004, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Loren, congrats, you just made my ignore list. I will clear room for you by returning tabs to active status. You have repeatedly shown yourself to be opinionated and intolerant, and once you latch on to one of your ill-thought out ideas, you fight mercilessly to jam it down out throats. I won't put up with it any longer. Goodbye to your posts...you add no value here.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Just add a chip to that 993 on E-bay and you'll be all set!
Old 01-24-2004, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by cicsprog
NOSTATIC…must be a bug going around. I saw this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10156&item=2454623587

last Friday night. I must have looked at it for 30 minutes. The remainder of last weekend, I spent scheming up ways to get a spare 20k and selling the current 88 911 to get this. Cashing in the kids paid-for college education here in FL, trying to convince the wife that this will be the last thing I will ever buy or need, and even donating some major organ or limb to science for $20k were all considered. The fever broke late Sunday night.
Ha! I go as far as to get out the scratch paper and start scrawling numbers...hmm...sell this, get a refund from that, then I'd end up spending this on that...

Since it appears as though I'll have one of these damn 911s around for a lot of years, I've pondered going newer. It doesn't help that even with a low miles 24 year old car, you still end up replacing things...one thing, then another. Of course some of that was enforced, and others is just liking to have things "right." So now I'm thinking that I should upgrade the t-bars, new bushings, etc. And I could use some Recaros. And...and... At some point you start thinking, "gee, why not just have a newer version."

But then reality sets in. First there's the extra $20K to get into the 993 (ouch). Then odds are there would be something that would need attention on it that hadn't been replaced yet. I don't know what to say about the engines...I've heard some rumblings about valve guides going early, and the CEL on the 96-98 is a fairly well known issue. Then again, I could lose a head stud or two any day on my SC, so as has been said above, every iteration has its issues.

At least window shopping is free. Other than the occasional flame
Old 01-25-2004, 12:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Todd,

Have you visited http://p-car.com to learn what the 993's weak points are? I was drawn to the '95s because of lower cost and no CEL issues. I still spent $1k (in parts-only diy) after I bought it to fix the little things. Personally I think it's an awesome upgrade from an SC/Carrera, although the 'cushiness' may not be for everyone.

Chris.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Buy them, sell them

Garage
Wow..

That car would bring AUD$100+k (US$77,000) here in Australia, especially with that mileage. At US$33k, I'd be all over that one in a flash!
Old 01-25-2004, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Saw this ad recently for a car in the Sacramento Bee

$34,900, 911 CARRERA 4 1995 Blk w/blk supple lthr, 11.8k mi, exc cond, loaded. $34,900

Great deal for someone looking for a 993 C4 coupe. PM me if you want the phone #

Old 01-30-2004, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: