Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
drag racing the short bus

Today's Mulholland Run - Jan 24th

A beautiful run as usual. It was overcast, foggy and cold, but everyone seemed to do fine.

The group split in half. Jack, Noel, and Magnus took a "short" route to PCH and Coogies, while I led a couple 914s and a GT-2 up to Encinal (the usual route) then down to PCH. My car really came into its own on the twisties on Mulholland to Encinal then down to PCH and then Coogies.

There were a lot of cyclists today (akin to our cars, cyclists also love cold, overcast weather), and a lot of automobile traffic in the most twisty section (and favored) part of the run...

All-in-all, it was very fun. Finally met Nostatic and Concentric. Sorely missed, of course, was Tyson and Denis.

Hope you guys can make it next time...

Someone will post photos soon. I didn't bring a camera.

P.S. we took it real easy down PCH, thankfully.

Old 01-24-2004, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Cool

I had a great time! I got to "exercise" the P-car and met a bunch of fellow Pelicanheads. I took some pics....

67 912 (sold)
58 Karmann Ghia chopped top (traded for the 912)
Old 01-24-2004, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Some more...

67 912 (sold)
Old 01-24-2004, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

More...

67 912 (sold)
Old 01-24-2004, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

more...

67 912 (sold)
Old 01-24-2004, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nice. It was another awesome event with a great variety of cars. Three 914's, a 912, Wayne's Ferrari, Noel's GT3, a GT2, and of course a whole lot of 911's.

The rain threatened, but never materialized. I guess it didn't want to spoil the morning for so many beautiful cars.

Here are a few more pictures from when we stopped at the top of Stunt Road. This is the (usual) self portrait:

And here are a couple group shots of all the cars that participated.

We had patches of fog on the way down, but the weather turned out to be great. There was a little confusion about the route, but we're going to solve that with some hand-out maps next time.

And speaking of next time... when are we doing it again?
Old 01-24-2004, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

In those pictures, the skid marks make it look like I pulled into my space Dukes-of-Hazard style.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Next time? How's February 21st sound?

P.S. and yes, I'll print out maps this time...
Old 01-24-2004, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
a few more...non-SoCal guys please note the cold and foggy conditions...

Old 01-24-2004, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

seriously fast car and driver (the 914-6 that is)...on the way up Martin was behind me (unfortunately for him)...I'd look back and he'd be behind me a ways, then in a split second on my tail.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Detached Member

Couldn't make it today, too many Honey-Dos. Lately, I've been taking my car up Franciscito (sp?)Canyon up here in Santa Clarita to Green Valley and then returning via' Bouquet Canyon. Its a great drive with very few bicycles. About 50 miles round trip. Any interest? Halfway stop at the Big Oaks Lodge. BTW, Franciscito Canyon is where a dam failed in the 1920's-30s and killed a couple hundred people, you can still see BIG chunks of the failed dam on the countryside. Very little CHP.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Banned

Sorry that I missed it, but while leaving lunch in Venice today I was driving next to the silver 959 that was the subject of the thread last week. I talked to the guy for a minute, told him about the thread, he said that he would have to check it out. I think that he is a Rennlist guy.

I'll try to make the next one.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Check out my new avatar...
<-------

that was Friday night.

I would have been there Saturday, but you know. Maybe next time.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
*sigh*
Old 01-25-2004, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I couldn't make it, as I stated earlier. But, the good news is the new carpet kit is in. Just have one more piece and need to put the seats and panels back in!

What a PITA! Man, took me all weekend. I wish I could have gone. Looks like you guys had fun! My knees wish I had gone instead, too!

Chad aka "Chili"
1974 Base coupe in Carrera outfit.
No A/C, no Sun Roof, no power windows. Fast and light, just the way I like it. (Sad to say, it's sold. But at least it remains with us on this board.)
My car http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/CHILI
1969 RSR Project. Heavy on the word PROJECT! No pictures yet. Keeps breaking lenses of cameras.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
wanna buy a stripper pole

Send a message via Yahoo to KevinP73
Quote:
Originally posted by GrindingGears
Check out my new avatar...

that was Friday night.

I would have been there Saturday, but you know. Maybe next time.
I can't tell if your blowin' chunks or getting handcuffed. Do you have a larger view for the senior's amongst us?
Old 01-26-2004, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

glad you guys had fun- it never seems to stop out here; this weekend POC and Alfa club are at Streets and big track at willow springs (respectively) Anyone just getting started and interested in learning to drive your car the right way, contact the POC office for this Saturday's drving school. www.porscheclub.com
Old 01-26-2004, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh R
Lately, I've been taking my car up Franciscito (sp?)Canyon up here in Santa Clarita to Green Valley and then returning via' Bouquet Canyon. Its a great drive with very few bicycles. About 50 miles round trip. Any interest? Halfway stop at the Big Oaks Lodge.
That sounds like fun, and a nice change of pace!
Old 01-26-2004, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinP73
I can't tell if your blowin' chunks or getting handcuffed. Do you have a larger view for the senior's amongst us?
Thankfully, I'm yaking and not getting cuffed. I'll get my friend to send the orignal. When I resized the picture 50 by 50 pixels for avatar size I saved it at that small size. Anyway, it was a fun night of Jaeger and Anchor Steam, a wonderful combination.

Cheers,
Philip
Old 01-26-2004, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TRE Cup
glad you guys had fun- it never seems to stop out here; this weekend POC and Alfa club are at Streets and big track at willow springs (respectively) Anyone just getting started and interested in learning to drive your car the right way, contact the POC office for this Saturday's drving school. www.porscheclub.com
Gosh, wish I could, but I'm pushing my luck already with the wifey-poo. Two events in one week was...uh...looked at with a raised eyebrow and tight crossing of the arms.

March 3rd might be a bit more realistic for me.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: