Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to wastintime
Where to find "Wings" pedals

I was just wondering if anyone knows a source for Wings racing pedals for Porsches. The Rennline pedal that I bought really sucks, and doesn't help with heel and toe shifting at all. I drove my bosses car which has an adjustable Wings pedal and it was an amazing improvement, but I haven't been able to find any for sale anywhere. If anyone knows a good source please let me know.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 01-24-2004, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Make your own from aluminum sheet...reverse "L" shape.

$3

---Wil Ferch
Old 01-25-2004, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Formerly bb80sc

do a search on Vosstek. Better Bodies carries a nice looking *race* set with a nice little *wing* where you could blip the throttle with your heel....

-B
2017 Mazda CX5
Old 01-25-2004, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

No, I'm actually looking for a brand called Wings. I don't know if they still make pedals or not, I was just hoping someone on here would know if they did.

'67 912, '92 C2, and '93 RSA - all gone
Old 01-25-2004, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I believe what you are looking for is called the "third foot" from Wings Engineering. They used to advertise in Excellence, but I don't know if they are still in business. Last known phone # was: 202-438-2222 (CT). Personally, I can't see how anyone could use a pedal with an extension on the heel. Most (including myself) don't actually use their "heel" to heel/toe, but rather do so by rolling the right side ball of the foot over to the accelerator. The one time I drove a car with a "third foot", I kept hitting the throttle unintentionally. The perfect heel/toe pedal extension IMO would be one with a slightly larger surface area to the top-left portion of the stock pedal, and nothing more.

Old 01-25-2004, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Used User

The key here is adjusting the pedals themselves. I had a little interferrence with the throttle linkage and lenghtend the one in the engine bay so it would not hit the butterfly. Before that, it was in perfect height for rolling the foot. It was easier than my 914. Now, I'll have to go under the car and shorten the one just outside the bulkhead to compensate. You can also make adjustments to your brake pedal height, buy the throttle is easier. When the pedals are right, you'd have to have a size 6AAA to have problems.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hey Wil,
Did you make one? Post a pic. You got me thinking..........
Jon
Old 01-26-2004, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yes I made one....no need really to post a pic. Just a wider pedal, with a pronounced reverse "L" shape toward the bottom. After using this for some time, and noting how easy it is to heel/toe with my Talon using the toe and ball-of-foot ( suspended hinges)...I may even rethink this idea to mimic what Eric Coffey says...make it wider at the top instead.

The only caution to note is that you tend to brake much deeper in actual race ( or DE) conditions...so that the pedals come together toward the same "plane" when driving in earnest. Street driving won't do this since you won't be "on the pedal" as hard.

I countersunk three holes in my aluminum plate and drilled through the plastic OEM pedal...backed up by fat washers/ stainless bolts and nylock nuts. If you find the pedal too far away...you can use longer bolts and tubular "sleeves" to make the alu pedal "stand-off" a bit from the original pedal..bringing the whole assembly closer to you.

$100 for a store-bought pedal?...that just hurts my $ sensibilities too much !!

---Wil Ferch
Old 01-26-2004, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yeah me too$ Did you use checker plate or flat stock?
Old 01-26-2004, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Or, you can check out the pictures and process I posted in this thread. Stock look and adjustable from street to A/X or DE...

911 pedals

Chad aka "Chili"
1974 Base coupe in Carrera outfit.
No A/C, no Sun Roof, no power windows. Fast and light, just the way I like it. (Sad to say, it's sold. But at least it remains with us on this board.)
My car http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/CHILI
1969 RSR Project. Heavy on the word PROJECT! No pictures yet. Keeps breaking lenses of cameras.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

This is interesting too....take a look at factory 935's and such...the gas pedal is SMOOTH, and so is mine, as you gas pedal foot articulates, it likes to slide on the gas pedal surface...no need ( or desire) for grip here. Quite the opposite for brake / clutch pedals. There you want as much grip as possible ( rubber / roughened plate, etc).

---Wil Ferch
Old 01-26-2004, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I have a Wings Pedal setup I will probably sell as I am selling the car in a few weeks. Here is what these look like. The pedal height is adjustable using the 3 screws - you can also change the angle of the pedal. The black pieces clamp to the pedal and the silver piece mounts on that.

Old 01-26-2004, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Wings Engineering LLC, CT, USA, Tel 202-438 2222

'68 Targa Money Pit 4 Sale
Old 01-26-2004, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

thanks guys, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

As for it being easier to roll your foot... I just can't do it that way, I don't know why, but blipping the throttle with my heel is just so natural on a downshift, and these pedals are the nicest I've seen both rennline pedals really suck, and the one that would work isn't adjustable, and everyone else basically just has kind of a copy of those.

'67 912, '92 C2, and '93 RSA - all gone
Old 01-26-2004, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Let me know if you want to sell the rennline gas pedal. I need one a can't stomach the cost of oem.

'68 Targa Money Pit 4 Sale
Old 01-26-2004, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Anyone know what the Wings setup costs new so I can price my slightly used one appropriately?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Here is what the Wings pedal looks like in the car -

Old 01-26-2004, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I remember $90-$110 new...
---Wil Ferch
Old 01-26-2004, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

ZCAT3 I'll buy the pedal if still available. Send me a pm so I can contact you.
Thanks
Old 01-26-2004, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

ZCAT3 I'll take it. I can pick it up whenever your ready to sell it. I can mail you a check in the mean time. I tried to send you a response. I get a message saying your mailbox is full. Can you send me a pm with your email address so we can make arrangements.
Thanks.

Old 01-26-2004, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: