Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Somewhere in the Midwest

Approx. $1000 to soda blast car...other means?

Is that a good price?

I'm backdating my car and have steel fenders and a hood. The tub is a 76 tub, and I will be welding on flares in the rear.

So, is $1000 too much for soda blasting? What have you guys paid for stripping a car?

My car has two coats of paint on it, original silver and GP white from the 80's (I assume ). I'm not really keen on stripping it myself as it will cost me more in my time to sand or chemical strip.

The $1000 is the owner's over the phone estimate, so we know it's loose. The stripping is on a time and material basis, $45/hr labor, and $50/bag of soda (should last about 1 hour). So it's about $100/hr and the number of hours will depend on the amount of paint on my car.

As I'm typing this, it occured to me that I should pay for regualor old sandblasting of the steel non-galvanized parts (front fenders and hood) and only soda blast the tub. I would of course have the shop prime the fenders and hood to prevent rusting (primer will be per the color system I decide on).

I'm calling other shops, but this one is the one closest to my house that will soda blast.

Body guys? Kevin? Any advice?????

Time is running out guys...I might want to drive "Bastard" to the Rennsport Reunion!

Last edited by MotoSook; 01-26-2004 at 02:00 PM..
Old 01-26-2004, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
Souk,
THis is second hand but I belive dtw was quoted about $400-500 for soda blasting. I also think you'll need to do the soda blasting to avoid warping your panels from heat.
"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 01-26-2004, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

we pay about $600 here to blast a car. So take some pics of the car with you down to the blaster, chat a while and see if you can get a better price.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Thanks for the responses guys. I was hoping to hear that. $500-$600 sounds more fair...and $600 in SoCal..geez! That's like 50 bucks here in the Midwest
Old 01-26-2004, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I've heard prices in the $500. range here in Indy.
Jim
Old 01-26-2004, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I used to run a soda blasting business in Detroit. The price sounds about right.

Bear in mind that if you use sand, it will go into the nooks and crannies of the car and you will have to rotate the chassis on a rotisserie to get it all out. Whereas the soda (ARMEX, marketed by Church & Dwight) will dissolve with a hot water rinse. Much nicer. And much less aggressive than sand, black beauty, Al oxide, etc., which will erode the panels.
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 01-26-2004, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Never left, but not right

Does your soda blaster do plastic as well? Seems like that is faster and less money. I don't believe plastic will warp or work harden your metal.

On the TV show, "A Car Is Reborn," the XKE they did got the plastic and then garnet (real fine) to clean the metal pores of rust. Then phosphate within minutes.

Incidentally, they claim the 911 sitting in the blaster's yard awaiting work was one of the 911 (901) prototypes, like no. 3 or something. If that process was good enough for ol' no. 3, I'd work for me.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

And make sure the engine is covered very, very well. I got mine repainted a year ago and see the inside of the fan has plenty of primer dust. Wonder what the cylinder fins look like :rolleyes/:
Old 01-26-2004, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

$70, a scraper and a weekend. aircraft remover. nectar of the gods.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I had my car plastic media blasted before paint and it was about $400. It came out very well. I can say that the stuff still falls out of the nooks and crannies, even 15 months later. Shop vac, no biggie. I would take the motor out and do the engine bay too. You wont regret it.

Paul

Old 01-26-2004, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TRE Cup
we pay about $600 here to blast a car. So take some pics of the car with you down to the blaster, chat a while and see if you can get a better price.
I agree, if the guy hasn't done a Porsche before he can't get the picture plus he probably quoted you high to see if you are really serious or just kicking tires.
'88 Jaguar XJS
'97 YZF1000RJ
Islander 36
Old 01-26-2004, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
The Chef

hey dave(tre),
does that include engine compartment, trunk, interior and pan?
joe
Old 01-26-2004, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Souk, I think a lot of your respondents don't know what soda blasting is. (John Cramer obviously does)

It's not available at all in So Cal, as near as I can tell.

I think you got a high estimate based on 1. unfamiliarity with the car, and 2. the general reputation of Porsche owners.

We can get media blasting done around here (plastic, organics) for $500 a car, and that includes pickup & delivery.

From my research, soda blasting is the ideal way to strip a car -- especially one that has any galvanized panels.

There's similar coverage of the issue in another recent thread here, too.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 01-26-2004, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Scott's Deburring Service in Glendale- they will do all compartments if you pre prep- no grease, no wiring, no masking to do
Old 01-26-2004, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I have used soda, plastic, walnut shells, ceramic bead, and glass bead blasting on aerospace and automotve. For my own stuff I like plastic as you can choose the hardness, you also dont have the high Ph of the soda left in any crannies you didnt wash out. $ 400-600 is a fair price if that includes a pressure wash to clean it up when done.
'81 SC Euro Money Pit #1
'02 Boxster S "Econo Car" (or at least thats what I told the wife)
Old 01-26-2004, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Holy crap! I had no idea it was soo inexpensive. Do those cost get the undercoating off too or would that be seperate? I assume seperate since media probably can cut through that.

Man, I think I just stumbled on next winters project here....

Pat
Old 01-26-2004, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
The Chef

do i smell pelican group rate somewhere. la area maybe?
Old 01-26-2004, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Actually, I'm hoping we can get a group rate at Kevin's shop. Maybe if 8 or 10 of us go in for a total repaint...

...Kevin?
Old 01-26-2004, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by techweenie
Souk, I think a lot of your respondents don't know what soda blasting is. (John Cramer obviously does)
I'll admit, I don't! Is soda blasting a technique for stripping all the paint down to the metal, or is it just to surface prep for painting? Is it just media blasting?

If it's used to strip the entire car, I'd be interested in a group thing. $500 sounds a heck of a lot better than a weekend breathing stripper fumes.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
It's soda, as in baking soda.

The particles hit the paint and literally explode. Apparently the underlying metal and even soft aluminum trim is not affected.

It's (relatively) environmentally friendly and washes off with water. As thomschoon mentions, the soda is alkaline, but that's not the worst thing to deal with.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: