Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Corkscrewing in

Sad days, fire sale likely

You guys may have noticed I havn't been posting for a while. I have had some trying times lately.

Our first child was born 6 weeks ago (trying but wonderful!)

My wife lost her job to relocation at the end of the year (just plain trying, not so wonderful)

My family business is struggling, and I must devote ALL my time to turning it around.

Therefore, I think I have to liquidate my non essential assets so I can concentrate on my business problems without coming home to more.

My 930 sits motionless in my garage, It has a broken headstud. I have removed the CIS (sealed in plastic bags as I was thinking EFI) but is otherwise untouched. I have done many many things to this car including a Gary Fairbanks rebuild on the tranny maybe 300 miles ago and a new K27-7200 turbo. The exhaust was Cermacoated, new clutch, etc.. It is Silver with RUF wheels and lobster interior and 100k miles with maybe 55k on a rebuild. So if anyone is interested or would like to advise me on what it may be worth let me know. I realize this is not the condition to sell her in but sometimes life throws you a curve ball ya know. Any advice would be appreciated as well as inquiries. For those who are not familiar she's a '77 930. As Barney Gumble said "don't cry for me I'm already dead" That was a joke. But sadley the rest of the post is not. Oh yea "I'll be back" Thanks guys. And many many more details are available.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Damn dude! Sorry to hear of your troubles...good luck!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Corkscrewing in

Thanks Souk, I will be fine. And in the end it's only money and we make more every day! I would really appreciate some advice on a price that will move her.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

That really sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Family is worth the sacrifice. and like you said, you'll be back when things get better, and they will. Is there anyway you could fix that headstud? The car would be worth much more in good running/ driving condition. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

I agree. If you can fix the stud and put the factory induction on to make it run, you should see close to 20K if the rest of the car is nice...sorry I haven't seen your car. How about posting pictures.

A happy home is better than a good drive in a 911...you'll be back.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

lendaddy, sorry to hear about your financial problems but remember you now have a healthy baby and that's a very good thing.

PM or email me if you want to talk about moving the 930.
'88 Jaguar XJS
'97 YZF1000RJ
Islander 36
Old 01-26-2004, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Corkscrewing in

I think my money saving abilities are better directed at my company right now, and to be honest I personally have little money and less time at the moment(see above reasons)
Old 01-26-2004, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Damn, if I had the money for a second project I would be happy to help you out but I am struggling myself just to complete the one I got.

If you still have the stock wheels you might be able to make more money setting the car back towards stock and selling the upgrades seperately.

I would love to have the RUF wheels if I had the money to spend.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Lendaddy,

Let me know if I can help out in anyway.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Corkscrewing in

Thanks guys, but again we are only talking about time, money, and possessions not disease and death. I appreciate your concern but we will be fine regardless of how this turns out. One of the worst things is I had to lay off one of my best friends and a fantastic guy yesterday as we could not afford him any longer, now that is not fun and can really eat at you ya know. Anyway thanks again.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Sorry to hear of your stress, but I also notice you have a tendency toward keeping things in perspective. It's not death and disease. It's time and money. Sometimes, time and money troubles are good things disguised as bad things. For example, happiness and money share a weak but NEGATIVE correlation. Hug the people you love. Plant stuff in the spring.

We wish you the best. You might consider Lynn's suggestion. Perhaps someone here can advise or connect with your business in a synergistic way (2+2=5).
Old 01-27-2004, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
This is a sad day for Pelican. But times will be better and I'm sure you'll stay somewhat active in the mean time...right?

BTW, congratulations on the new addition to your family....a truly beautiful experience.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

JOT MON ABBR OTH

Daddy,

Glad to hear your child is in good health! That is the most important thing! Keep the Pelican family in mind if you need other advice. There are many here among us who are more than willing to share our wisdom.

I would take the value of the 930 in perfect condition, subtract the cost of repairs, and offer for sale at 10% above so that I could give a discount to the buyer. An informed buyer who gets a fair deal is a happy person.
I don't take scalps. I'm civilized like white man now, I shoot man in back.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

any Pelican around MI that can get you going? I'd be willing help pay for parts (they should be cheap)
Old 01-27-2004, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Corkscrewing in

Schuey, your offer is indeed generous, but I would not ask for nor accept money from you guys it just wouldn't be right. I really appreciate all the sympathy here, but again I am not upset or sad just determined and realistic. David, thanks for the advice. What do you suppose labor and parts would be to repair the headstud? $2k? $5k? less? more? Thanks again.

Just to add I think you guys may be holding back your valuation opinions thinking I will be offended but I assure you I will not. Thanks

Last edited by lendaddy; 01-27-2004 at 07:17 AM..
Old 01-27-2004, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hi Len,
It's tough to get a handle on the Turbo Carreras because of the rarity, but I've seen two listed recently in the 23-24K range (running cars). So I guess you could deduct the estimated shop labor and get a starting point for your value. The upgrades may or may not help, depending on the buyer.

It sounds like you have your priorities in order - good luck with the business!
Old 01-27-2004, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Any recent pics?
Old 01-27-2004, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Colin I think Len is going to have to deduct more than the shop value. Most people see missing CIS and head stud replacement and just see the car as a project car. My guess would be in the $12-15K range. Hope I'm proven wrong.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Lendaddy, I think a new stainless steel headstud costs bewteen $12.00-$20.00. Now the the labor and while-you're-in-there stuff can add up fast. If you want to do nothing but replace lower headstuds, theoretically, you could do it for a few hundred dollars and in a couple of weekends. Looks like time is very precious to you. Maybe some locals can help you out there. I'd gladly rebuild someone's engine for free if I had the space, tools, blah, blah. Maybe someone there does. Congrats on having a healthy baby - far more important and ANY car.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

Len,

Sorry to hear of the difficulty!

To me, it seems that disposing of your project will be somewhat difficult for several reasons that have already been listed.

Would it not be quicker, easier, and more expedient to sell either the Land Rover or Audi, and use the Westfalia as a temporary replacement?

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 01-27-2004, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: