Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Souk, I see your in ill, im by Notre Dame, lets get together and ill make you a Believer, Kevin

Old 01-27-2004, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

If you've got $45,000 burning your pocket, this is nice...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/145730-78-turbo-ducktail-sale-19k-orig-mi-post1139742.html#post1139742
Old 01-27-2004, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Stewart
Souk, I see your in ill, im by Notre Dame, lets get together and ill make you a Believer, Kevin
You're on Kevin...it'll have to be later in there year... Dang snow!
Old 01-27-2004, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Careful Souk. I rode in Kevins car and now spend hours pecking on a calculator trying to work a 3.6 into the budget...
2001 Xterra
1997 Jeep Wrangler "The Tick"
Old 01-27-2004, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Talking new pelican-er

wow, thanks for all the input! I'm not really thinking about a track car at this point. I just really like the earlier 911's and I have heard there can be problems with studs, valve guides, chain guides, etc. so I thought a good solution would be to just drop a new motor in. I see there is a lot to think about. I have always wanted to do an early RS type car (original thought I know). I think it's because that was what I wanted when I was in high school (do more with '74!) and early college days. I have never driven a turbo so I don't know if I could live with the lag. Thanks again. PS I hope I am replying the right way as I am new to this format also
Old 01-27-2004, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

It's all a matter of taste when it comes to hot rodding the 911....and "how cool do you want to spend?" Here's a pic of a car I consider to be a "way cool" early 911 hot rod...dunno how to post 2 pics in a post, so I'll post again with a pic of it's engine...
Old 01-27-2004, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

And the engine..."only" a 2.7, essentially an RS powerplant with a few "improvements"...this '73 is sort-of an RS clone...without the flares and the spoilers, but still a visual treat "par excellance"...
I'd let it share my garage with my '72 911S any day of the week...
Old 01-27-2004, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Oldporsche
Cool

The porsche 911 is one of the world's greatest "kit" cars.

Just remember go "ole Stroker McGurk" famous quote:

"Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?"

He is also quoted as saying, "If it don't go, Chrome it!"

This crowd has modified that last saying somewhat.

"If it don't go, copy it in carbon fiber."

David Duffield
"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you!"
Old 01-27-2004, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by pwd72s
And the engine..."only" a 2.7, essentially an RS powerplant with a few "improvements"...this '73 is sort-of an RS clone...without the flares and the spoilers, but still a visual treat "par excellance"...
That's pretty cool...but I don't think that car has AC or power steering. How uncivilized!

Old 01-27-2004, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Hey Paul, is that the Snap-Off guy's car? I fergit his name...
Old 01-27-2004, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Used User

Quote:
Originally posted by old_porsche

This crowd has modified that last saying somewhat.

"If it don't go, copy it in carbon fiber."

I'd rather you attributed that to some Honda drivers. I don't see a line out the door to get CF around here. But, what do I know?

The hot rod thing should maybe be approached with restraint at first. It takes a while to assimilate all the posibilities. Nothing like buying something and then finding out that there was a better choice. I would seek out some Pcar owners at any gathering and talk to them as much as you can.

If you find a car that feels right and end up buying it, drive it for awhile to appreciate it's assets and shortcomings (if any). My advice beyond that is to try to buy a whole car that runs. You can sell off almost anything you replace or upgrade to offset the cost. It's a kind of 'trickle down' economics; as you move up, someone else moves up to your old stuff. In the last year, I've seen several that more than likely recouped half of their outlay doing this. With a roller, you don't get that advantage and you have a longer way to go from the beginning.

I've bought a roller and a whole car and I can tell you this from some real experience.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Souk, yea when the snow goes away we got about ten inches today, Kevin
Old 01-27-2004, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Simple solution: Do what I did.........
Turbocharge a 3.2 Motronic motor from a '84-'89 Carrera......(and then do something which I WILL DO SOON)........... put it in a '70-'73 911.
Or leave it in the car it came from. With 350+ hp, (depending on mods, all bolt ons) it kicks some serious ass.
No need to waste time with a more expensive 930 motor with a crappy 70's style 7.0:1 compression ratio, and that dreaded HP limiting CIS injection!
Old 01-28-2004, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

That 7:1 compression ratio allows you to run high boost on average gas and that CIS can always be modified or replaced to get more power than that high compression 3.2 motor ever will.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
CIS can always be modified or replaced to get more power than that high compression 3.2 motor ever will.

Hummmmmmmm........
Old 01-28-2004, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Why are you guys screeming "troll" already?

A Boxster is a 986. Youz guyz...
Old 01-28-2004, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

I hate to sound really uninformed but what, dare I ask, is a "troll"?
07 Escalade
96 993 Coupe - sold
Old 01-28-2004, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
Re: new pelican-er

Quote:
Originally posted by 993.986.
wow, thanks for all the input! I'm not really thinking about a track car at this point. I just really like the earlier 911's and I have heard there can be problems with studs, valve guides, chain guides, etc. so I thought a good solution would be to just drop a new motor in. I see there is a lot to think about. I have always wanted to do an early RS type car (original thought I know). I think it's because that was what I wanted when I was in high school (do more with '74!) and early college days. I have never driven a turbo so I don't know if I could live with the lag. Thanks again. PS I hope I am replying the right way as I am new to this format also
Your first post combined w/ your second confirmed for me that you are not a troll.

Troll= someone who pops in to start trouble, lots of guys confuse novice sounding questions w/ trolls.

I try to be more understanding; I'm just starting to feel I've moved up from novice but that's about when these guys remind me of how little I really know.

Welcome to the board, great bunch of guys and info, but none of us are without faults.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

We like you dude...we always haze the new fish...you feel like a part of the family now?
Old 01-28-2004, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

thanks for the explanation. I had it all wrong, I was guessing it had something to do with 914's

07 Escalade
96 993 Coupe - sold
Old 01-28-2004, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: