Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sounds like someone's getting ready (aka cheating) for the OTC race in April...
Is the feared Olsen/Schmidt team split up this year ?

130 T2 1972 Porsche 911 Jack Olsen

T3 n/a Tyson Schmidt

Old 01-27-2004, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Administrator

Well, I finally made it through all the video. What's nice and clear on the big screen becomes fuzzy and postage-stamp-size on the computer, but what are you going to do?

All the files are in MP4 format. This will work with either Quicktime or the latest Windows Media Player. If it doesn't work on your Windows machine, go to this link for a decoder.

http://download.com.com/3001-2194-10159344.html

The first clip is kind of a curio, but you can use it as a test to see if your computer will play it all right, since it's only 940k. It's one of those 'what the heck was I thinking moments you don't expect to find on your tape. I come out of turn 9, at better than a hundred miles an hour. Then you see my right hand go down to shift into fifth (I'm at about 6700 in 4th at that moment, or 117 mph), and then...

...I let go of the steering wheel, and shake my hands out...

WTF? Your hands get tired at the end of a long session, driving on this track. But I never would have guessed I'd do something like this to get the blood moving in them again. Thanks to Tyson and TRE for my car tracking predictably at that speed. But I'm going to work not to have this show up on a tape again.

Hand Wringing At 117 (940k)

Next up is another mistake. I'm coming into the pits, following the outside edge of the track, and I stop paying attention -- and go into the gravel.

Visiting the Gravel (1.4m)

Okay, that's it for my screw-ups. The next clip gives you a glimpse of Chuck Moreland's 'Project Elephant,' which he was finally getting a chance to dial in for track use. This was the car's second visit to a track, and Chuck's first time at Willow, so he's navigating cautiously.

Elephant Sighting (1.6m)

Rob Wolford was one of the organizers of the event. In addition to his 73 Carrera RS, he's also got a Euro 2.7 Carrera from the following year. He was driving it cautiously, but look at what happens when he puts the pedal down from the top of the hill, 1:34 into the clip. The MFI and light weight make the car zing away like your eyes are playing tricks on you (until the EFI 3.6 reels him back in ).

Chasing the 2.7 (2.8m)

With deteriorating street tires, and the lack of my big wing, I was about two seconds off of my best times from the previous Wednesday. This was the fastest clip I got of myself, and you can see I do it by following Pelicanite Ted's car -- or rather, trying to keep up. This lap was a high 1:33 for me. I suspect the same lap was a couple of seconds shorter for him.

A full lap behind the Brumos Beast (5.9m)

Here's a 1:35-1:36 lap, without anything special, but you get a chance to see John Risvold's 'Red Rooster' early on in it.

A Lap with the Rooster (6m)

Finally, another lap where you see me trying -- unsuccessfully -- to keep up with the Brumos-themed monster.

More Time Behind the White Car (6.1m)
Old 01-27-2004, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dbraunsr
Sounds like someone's getting ready (aka cheating) for the OTC race in April...
Is the feared Olsen/Schmidt team split up this year ?

130 T2 1972 Porsche 911 Jack Olsen

T3 n/a Tyson Schmidt
Hey, if tracking the car is a crime, lock me up and throw away the keys.

Tyson and I may be two teams next year. It's still up in the air.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Good luck.
The T1 team of Straub/Tosi are friends.
Steve Tosi is from No Carolina and used to race a very successful 914-6 in 80 -83. He a great Porsche guy, now dressed in Corvette clothing.

I won't hold that against him...
Old 01-27-2004, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

FWIW, POC doesn't use the bowl at the top of the Streets.

BUT the track was recently modified in two spots. It was widened which changes the line an increases cornering speed in these places. The old records are frozen for perpetuity...or so I heard.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 01-27-2004, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Yeah, uh.... I don't think there will be any 1:12's at Streets if you are using the bowl section of the track. As "Ted" says, he ran a 1:27 on slicks there and he is pretty darn fast!!!!!

Maybe if Ferrari will let you run their 2003 F1 car and send Michael or Rubens to drive it, you might approach a 1:12.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the vids Jack. At last getting proper use out of my new ADSL instead of D.Ling Microsoft patches.

Man that white car flies!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1997 Boxster 986 2.5l
Old 01-28-2004, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
likes to left foot brake.

Garage
Jack thanks for the rear view video perspective.
That video post must of took a long time to complete!
Nice job!

Hayden Burvil rode with me and had some insight into T-2 and T-6 that allowed me to "ask a little less of the car".

Let's do it again when you have your race tires and big wing on too.

Racea911 you guys are too funny, hope we can share some more track time this year. I'll be running Victoracers at Fontana (CFoS and Tribute weekends) , that should make for a leval playing field.

Have you guys considered the PCA TT during the POC Fontana Tribute weekend? Jack had my # there last year.

I'm ready for the Dunkel show. Installed the muffler, ducktail and a high torque starter (thanks for the push starts Monday ) .
All I need now is a gasoline credit card.
See all y'all this weekend.
Mike aka Ted.

Last edited by ted; 01-28-2004 at 08:33 AM..
Old 01-28-2004, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Tyson went 1:14 his first time out, so I don't think a 1:12 is completely out of the question.

Mike aka Ted? What's going on here ...
Old 01-28-2004, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr9146
Apples and oranges.

Racea911 and I raced SOW with the bowl last weekend, we did not race the shorter version of the track that Tyson ran last time.
I have not run the shorter track layout.

If Tyson runs the same track layout when he did a 1:14 last time (with out the bowl section) he most likely will improve his lap times.
Based in part on the track improvements made recently on two of the corners everyones lap times should improve slightly.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
PRO Motorsports

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr9146
Tyson went 1:14 his first time out, so I don't think a 1:12 is completely out of the question.

O.K., so "the bowl" you were referring to is the extra back section. Yeah, that definitely adds quite a bit to the lap times. I think it adds a lot of length to the track.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Ted,
What the hell are you running in the rear of that car?? is it a worked over 3.2 or a 3.6?

Eric

" The reason the Irish are always fightin one another is that there are no other worthy opponents ".
Old 01-28-2004, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Mckenna
Ted, is it a worked over 3.2 or a 3.6?
Eric
Stock US 85 3.2 with headers and a chip, better rod bolts too.
Close ratio trans, and 2400lbs wet help a bit too.
It has good grip and it is quite fun to drive fast.

I enjoyed watching the video on line too. Maybe the video compression helps make the car appear that it is making some sudden acceleration moves. Or Jack was just 8/10 and I was 10/10 and it also appears he did select some flattering footage of my white car.

Thanks Jack, I think Iím faster on video than at the track.
My in car video of myself driving always looks slower.
When I show my in car video to others you canít sense the speed, itís not as exciting as Jackís video. On Jackís it really does look like Iím doing 125mph in the big right hand sweeper.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ted
Maybe the video compression helps make the car appear that it is making some sudden acceleration moves. Or Jack was just 8/10 and I was 10/10 and it also appears he did select some flattering footage of my white car.
They only thing worse than making excuses for myself online is having the faster guy making the excuses for me.

Mike's and my car are pretty closely closely matched at Willow. I've got more power and more tire, but also more frontal area, drag, and (most importantly) weight.

On this particular day, he was on R-compound tires and was running his big wing. I was on street tires with the ducktail. If the gap between us on these laps is 2-3 seconds, then I could probably close that with my better aero and rubber. With my big wing, the previous week, I was running 1:32's with the same street tires. Add Victoracers into the equation, and I should theoretically be able to beat Mike's 1:31's. But that's purely theoretical, of course. As of right now, he's run 1:31's at the big track, and I've never done better than low :32's. (And on this particular day, I was running mostly :34's. )

If it wasn't close, it wouldn't be any fun.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

I smell a re-match in the making.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Mike aka Ted ... <-- what's you're name man? What happened to GBurner?

That's what I was referring to in my post ... I have no doubt that Tyson will improve on his lap times, despite all of my voodoo efforts to slow him down (read: stabbing my kachina doll of his car)
Old 01-28-2004, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

great pics.

you guys have such great facilities out there. but you need more "run off" on your tracks

'86 coupe

"there you are"
Old 01-29-2004, 01:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: