Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What "hollow" parts are there to a 911 unibody?

I'm in the winter process of doing some rust preventive work to my Carrera, nothing fancy like a rebuild or similar, just spraying Tectyl "ML" and "Bodysafe" on the bodyparts I can reach... I understand these products to offer decent quality protection against rust and that's within the scope of what is intended and that I can handle...
The "ML" product is meant to be sprayed in "hollow" areas. Which I've done: where ever I find a hole, I spray into it...
My question is: what exactly are the hollow parts of a 911 "chassis"? OK, there's the doors, the inner rockers...

Subsidiary question: I've found some small holes on the bottom, some of them are plugged with a rubber plug, others are not.
(What are these holes for? The plugs look original Porsche...)

I've read that these small holes may let puddle-water in, to soak the carpet above, and generally dampen more than just the spirit... A Frenchman reportedly plugged those with custom cut-to-shape old wine cork pieces.. I thought it might be easier to plug them with chewing gum. Any counterindications against the use of chewing gum (this is a serious question, not intended to be a joke!)?? Silicone is another possibility, but that's such a mess to work with!

Old 01-27-2004, 01:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I wouldn't use silicone stuff to keep water out.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 01-27-2004, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

you can get to the rear longitudinals/dog legs in the engine bay through the rubber plugs after removing the tail light housings. They are right there in the square box section.

Did you do the:
front lateral tank supports
Front center tank support
front strut towers
inner rocker
outer rocker
latch post
A, C pillars (requires headliner removal)
box section between nose and front pan
area between rear windshield lower lip and rear deck

Sometimes you have to drill a small hole to fish your spray tube through. Best way to spray is to get a tube that fits in the spray head (think WE40 can) fish this tube as far as possible. estimate the depth by laying outside panel. Start spray and slowly withdraw tube leaving a coating over the entire surface. Best of luck.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 01-27-2004, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
911 carrera 3.2 (1985)

Porsche Crest

Paul,

Are these the plugs you're talking about?

I'm trying to get a "tectyl" spraying diagram. If I can find it, I will email it to you.

You can find a general guide-line at: www.tectyl.com
> tectyl > tech bulletins > tech bulletin # 17

Kees.

Last edited by kees; 01-28-2004 at 03:50 AM..
Old 01-28-2004, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

From the 911 restoration book by Morgan and Porter I copied the following pics.

'05 996 4S cab, now gone
'70 911S Targa, now gone
Old 01-28-2004, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

part 2

And Kees, if you might find a tectyl diagram I would also appreciate a copy
'05 996 4S cab, now gone
'70 911S Targa, now gone
Old 01-28-2004, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm going to come right out and ask the stupid question -- just a couple days ago, there was a big thread on how the chassis gets electrostatically plated and is essentially impervious to rust. There's no way we can duplicate that process without a massive factory because it gets inside all the nooks and crannies that you can't reach. Peter, I'd believe that your '70 would be old enough to not be treated, but wouldn't Paul's '88 be taken care of? Were there parts that didn't get dipped in the magic electro-coating, like bumpers, doors, hoods that would benefit from this? It looks like the guy in your pictures is doing chassis-type stuff, though. (confused shaking head) I don't understand...

I apologize if I've totally missed the boat on this one, but it seems like a pretty massive duplication of effort, in my admittedly knowledge-limited opinion.

Dan
Old 01-28-2004, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Dan,

my 2ct

At least for my year part of the underbody was galvanized. In later yeas the whole car was galvanized. This basically only slows corrosion down.
I thought all models went through a electrostatical coating bath.

The problem with all those box sections is that they are not very well ventilated and therefore stay damp. The wax that is sprayed into the box sections seals all seams and prevents the moisture from doing harm. I believe most new cars receive some kind of wax treatment in the factory
'05 996 4S cab, now gone
'70 911S Targa, now gone
Old 01-28-2004, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Peter -- that helps, thanks. I think I understand the problem. Now I'm thinking I probably ought to go out and fill my hollow spaces with stuff, too ... BTW, by "most new cars," do you mean "new" as in '78, or "new" as in '98?

Dan
Old 01-28-2004, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

New as in today.
'05 996 4S cab, now gone
'70 911S Targa, now gone
Old 01-28-2004, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ok, cool. Thanks.

Dan
Old 01-29-2004, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Peter,

My recollection is that the ’77 model year was the first for galvanized bodies. I know that some were, I don’t know if all were.

To maintain a 911 in places like the Low Countries (The Hague & Seattle) and most everywhere else is to get your 911 dry and keep it that way. Heat/AC sealed garage, dehumidifier, consistent temperature, and some air flow through and around the car.
Here in Colorado we have 24”Hg (0.8 bar) atmospheric pressure and typically 10-40% RH. The big issue is temperature variation. If you keep your 911 in a place where the environmental conditions are very stable, that is the ideal.
Tectyl is a wonderful preservative. In applying it as Peter is, I would dilute it to very thin with Stoddard solvent and make sure any excess was drained out. This allows the wax (Tectyl) to penetrate all the seams and cracks and apply only an extremely thin coating so a subsequent application or cleaning will work.

Peter, it looks like you have a really cool RHD 911S in full disassembly. Good for you.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 01-29-2004, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Grady,

From the 1970 Model the entire underbody and parts inner sheet metal was galvanized. (exception the vin 9110120011 to 9110124126 and 9110220011 to 9110220667 and 9111120011 onwards).

Mine is 9111310129 so it should be partly galvanized. The pictures in this thread were taken from a Haynes restoration guide ("guide to purchase and DIY Restoration by Lindsay Porter and Peter Morgan.

My targa is in the garage waiting for the weather to improve.

'05 996 4S cab, now gone
'70 911S Targa, now gone
Old 01-29-2004, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Peter,

Good for you, your Targa looks great.
We may spend the summer ’05 race season in England and possibly on the Continent. Let’s stay connected. When you find yourself in the States, look us up.

Best,
Grady
gradyclay@hotmail.com
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 01-29-2004, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by djmcmath
-- just a couple days ago, there was a big thread on how the chassis gets electrostatically plated
Where? I can't find it. Could you please post a link? thanks
Old 01-29-2004, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by blue72s
Where? I can't find it. Could you please post a link? thanks
Prep work b/4 repaint.
--Look down towards the bottom of this one. WCroty brings it up, Randy Webb plays straight man, then WCroty follows with a pretty good description of it.

Dan
Old 01-29-2004, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Kees (from Harmelen NL) yes the plugs on my car look like the ones in the picture... and if you can find the Tectyl spraying diagrams, that would be great.
I will admit, though, that I do not intend to go to the length of ripping out headliners, carpets, gas tank etcetera... to go inside the hollow parts (as seen in the above photographs): my car is 9 out of 10 in the "appearance" department, and this would be going too far. And yes, the 1988 Carrera has been extensively galvanized (but I am very very sceptical as to the degree of protection that provides "today", after some 16-17 years - I've seen my own and other Carrera's very very rusted indeed in spite of that mythical zinc galvanisation I always hear of). I have carefully sprayed (first ML, then "Bodyguard") the wheelwells (especially around the headlamp and door jamb mud-collection points), inner rockers and doors. I -basically and theoretically- only drive in good weather (but do get caught out...), NEVER on salted roads (if possible), always extensively wash the car (only after she's been wet...) and keep a good wax on her. She's parked in a dry garage (heated by the house heating burner nearby...), with chemical de-humidifying boxes under her and one inside. Other than demonstrating that I am applying "due diligence", I hope it will impede the rust devil...

Old 01-29-2004, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: