Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Ferrari to use Porsche SUV Chassis

How many times have we heard "Ferrari would NEVER build an SUV!" in response to Porsche's decision to build the Cayenne??? Well, hold on to your hats sportscar fans ........ Ferrari boss Luca Montezemolo has agreed to allow VW to use it's Maserati Quattroporte chassis for the new VW wagon/SUV cross-over - the Sfero (where do they come up with these names?). In return? VW will allow Ferrari to use the Cayenne/Touareg chassis for the upcoming Maserati Kubang SUV!! (Kubang? - where'd they come up with THAT name?) Ferrari regards the Cayenne/Touareg chassis as "the best currently available" . Oh, it's a small, small world these days ...... -- Curt

Old 01-27-2004, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I thought you were kidding:

But Maserati isn't Ferrari, its all FIAT. Unlike Porsche of course.

Who the hell is gonna buy a Koo-bang?

'72 911E Sporto
Sportomatic.org
Old 01-27-2004, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Sports Purpose 911 Driver

just wait, they will being in line to buy it! I am so tired of SUV's!
1955 356 Pre A Coupe ‘old red’
1956 356A Emory speedster build in progress
Old 01-27-2004, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
"Kubang! Kubang!... "

-isn't that a Ricky Martin song?
Old 01-27-2004, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You can definitely see the Cayenne resemblance.

Ferrari controls Maserati, even though both are under the Fiat corporate umbrella - it's basically Ferrari's passenger car division. You can bet the 'Ferrari connection' will be made very, very clear in press releases, advertisements and car mag reviews. It will most likely have a Ferrari-designed or -based engine. It will sit side-by-side with the 360 and F1 in showrooms. Wonder if it will top the 450HP twin-turbo in the Cay.? Or, maybe that's why Porsche are talking about a 550HP+ version or dropping the Carrera GT motor in .....
Old 01-27-2004, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ditto Layzee and when / if Ferrari badges their own Stupid Ugly Vehicle I am sure Enzo will roll over in his grave just like Ferry did his when the Pepperwagon hit the roads.

Today I drove to work in ice. Saw 7 accidents ever one of them where SUV's. Yes all cars slide on ice it is just the morons driving the SUVs think they are invincible. One climbed a concrete divider wall on the interstate and crossed over into on coming traffic.
SCWDP
South East Region
Old 01-27-2004, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Sports Purpose 911 Driver

if I had to have an SUV (no kids that I have claimed or that I know of yet) I would go with cegerer's for sure, but it just seems like &*^%$ everyone is getting into the act now! I am just glad that Porsche still makes a car like the GT3 in this climate!
1955 356 Pre A Coupe ‘old red’
1956 356A Emory speedster build in progress
Old 01-27-2004, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Is it the SUV's themselves you guys hate or the stereotypical person you think drives an SUV? Mine didn't roll this morning despite blizzard conditions, weird huh?

Here's a quote from the designer, Giorgetto Giugiaro

“I decided that there was still something that could be done with the SUV concept. To me, they look more like off-roaders that have gradually been “civilized” rather than real automobiles. They’ve got a lot going for them, but for some reason they never seem to offer the kind of sublime driving pleasure and all-round, all-weathers and all-conditions safety that are two givens of other modern cars.

When Montezemolo talked to me about creating a whole new, ultra versatile Maserati, I decided we should do something that really pushed the envelope. We’d do a whole new take on the genuine Maserati GT that would make it perfect for sporty, dynamic modern drivers, and what we came up with was the GT Wagon concept.

So that’s how Kubang came to be. It all happened very fast. We didn’t have to research or review our ideas and concepts. There were no set parameters we had to keep in mind either. With the Kubang, we stretched the concept of the automobile as far as our imaginations would let us, without losing anything that would be expected from a thoroughbred GT.”
Old 01-27-2004, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
If that isn't a Murano (The flying boot) I don't know what is.....
Or the Lexus whateveritis.....
Old 01-27-2004, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
UNREAL- The worlds automakers never cease to amaze me. I guess many industries are this incestuous, but it is getting to the point that only your valve stem caps will denote what "brand" of vehicle your driving!!

Last edited by Embs; 01-27-2004 at 06:14 AM..
Old 01-27-2004, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
Quote:
Originally posted by Embs
UNREAL- The worlds automakers never cease to amaze me. I guess many industries are this incestuous, but it is getting to the point that only your valve stem caps will denote what "brand" of vehicle your driving!!
I seen where Ford has co-desifn and engine for the new Peugeot 206?

It's all a mess
2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 01-27-2004, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

I have not found anything that can be done in an SUV that could not be done in a passenger car, like moving people and stuff. And, I found a few things that could be done in a Porsche Cabriolet that could not be done in a SUV, like taking home an excercise machine.

Never gonna find an SUV in my garage, VW, Maserati, Porsche or Ferrari.
Two-wheel art: Ducati 907IE, Ducati 851
Old 01-27-2004, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Used User

What makes that an SUV? Looks like a sedan to me. Maybe SUV now includes Sedan Utility Vehicle. In any case, I have no problem with the design shown above.

Last edited by Zeke; 01-27-2004 at 06:48 AM..
Old 01-27-2004, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

cegerer - For the most part is the drivers of these vehicles that bug the hell out of me. The majority of people that buy these ever growing vehicles claim they need the safety for the family, space, want to go off road, need to tow huge loads or need AWD so they can drive through snow and ice in a safer manner.

I will admit there are many people that need the qualities listed above however most SUV's I see driving around here are occupied by a lone person, it is spotlessly clean. In other words they are not used for what they claim they need them for.

Now lets factor in the issue of "Bad Weather" many SUV drivers say "Hey I am in a AWD SUV I can drive as fast as I want" I noted before on ice and snow it doesn't matter what you got, if you drive like a moron you will fall victim to the laws a physics.

Today I had SUV's passing me going 60 and 70 miles per hour on ICE!!

Now lets talk safety many of these monsters are quite large and have a fairly tall stance. When sitting next to them in my Jetta or my wife's Subaru Outback the bumpers are at my shoulder height. It scares me to think about what happens if one of us gets T-boned. One of the accidents I saw today had a large pickup climbing a divider wall and going into on coming traffic. Those divider walls are tall. Think Nostatic suffered from a SUV plowing through a divider wall recently.

So yes stupid people in big heavy vehicles that can cause serious damage bug me.

I do not put you cegerer in that category as it seems you use yours for (real)work and play not doing the daily commute. The thought of some idiot behind the wheel of these new high performance SUV's scare the hell out of me though. 5500 pounds of metal doing 130+ mph can do a lot of damage FAST
SCWDP
South East Region
Old 01-27-2004, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Dr., I agree 100%. I'm not here to promote SUV's or Cayennes for that matter. It happens to be the perfect vehicle for my daily driver needs. But obviously, others see no merit in the vehcile at all. To each his own. -- Curt

Last edited by cegerer; 01-27-2004 at 07:18 AM..
Old 01-27-2004, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
I've used an "SUV" since the mid 90's....one will be in my garage as far as I can see forward. I just move too much stuff not to have one....bringing that Clausing Vertical Knee Mill from Canada was a beautiful thing.

Zeke makes a good point on the Sedan UV..... Can't lump all SUVs into one group.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Who the hell is gonna buy a Koo-bang?
name aside... I wish Porsche's SUV design looked as good as the Italian one !!

Old 01-27-2004, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: