Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Virginia Rocks!

Question Locks on Driver's Door

Here's a question. I have found that when driving the car and then parking it, I cannot lock the driver's door from the inside (when I get out and the engine is off). However, if I got out to the car, unlock it and never drive, I can lock it from the inside.

What gives? How does it know? I assumed the car is fairly mechanical - since I don't have power locks but I am mystified how it works.

Any ideas?

Old 01-27-2004, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That's to keep you from locking your keys in the car. It's supposed to do that. The passenger door doesn't ahve that feature.

Jerry Kroeger
1939 Ford Convertible Coupe
Old 01-27-2004, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Virginia Rocks!

I understand locking it from outside to keep from locking in my keys. I don't understand how it can tell between when I drive the car and when I just open the doors and never start the engine. My assumption that was it was all mechnical...

How does it know?
Old 01-27-2004, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 84porsche
It shouldn't matter if the car is running or not. If the doors are open you cannot lock the inside lock on the drivers door. However if the door is closed - windows down, engine running, whatever, you can lock the driver door from the inside - I think it relates to the latch on the door but I would need to see the mechanics to let you know exactly how it works.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Can you change the set up on the driver door lock so that it behaves like the passenger one where you can lock it with the door open?
Old 01-27-2004, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Virginia Rocks!

Quote:
Originally posted by 84porsche
It shouldn't matter if the car is running or not. If the doors are open you cannot lock the inside lock on the drivers door. However if the door is closed - windows down, engine running, whatever, you can lock the driver door from the inside - I think it relates to the latch on the door but I would need to see the mechanics to let you know exactly how it works.

My other cars work as above, however:

I swear that I can lock the door while open provided that I haven't previously started the car. Maybe the PO modified this, the door buzzer seems to have been disabled. However nothing else appears to have been modified (e.g., o2 ticker is still ticking away, no pop-off valve (yes, I know))
Old 01-27-2004, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Does anyone know if it's possible to change the lock setting on the driver door so that you can lock it with the door open?
Old 01-28-2004, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Steve N.- the door buzzer is a relay behind the dash that was probably removed - no loss there.
Do you have central locking? On my '85 without central locking, the driver's door can only be locked when it is closed - as stated above to prevent locking the keys in the car.

My '85 911 Targa ** Hand painted center caps for sale here
RIP Warren
PCA & Rennlist member
Old 01-28-2004, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
mmm, pull the entire CL system, lose the weight and the door will never again know if you've started the car

Old 01-28-2004, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: