Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Question New Axles - Gasket Question

It's been a while but I've started working on the 911 again. Started with the replacement of 1/2 shafts. The installation went well and I took my time to clean, inspect and re-install. As of last night, the axles are in, torqued and clean!

One thing I forgot as I re-ran the install through my mind. When I placed the gasket on the each of the ends, I forgot to remove the thin paper that exposes the sticky side. Will this be a problem? I know for a fact they all lined up well because I took extra care to make sure all was OK before I torqued (to 60 ft-lbs) all the bolts.

I really don't want to remove and reinstall. Please let me know what you think.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ahh...60 ft/lbs?
Make sure you have the 85+ version of the 911 half shafts.. or the 930 version that uses 10mm bolts...these are the only ones torqued to 60 ft-lbs. The smaller ( 6-8mm) are like 34 ft-lbs. Check the size.
---Wil Ferch
Old 01-27-2004, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Shouldn't be a problem. I think the sticky stuff is just there to help keep it in place while you're doing the install. I forgot one gasket all-to-gether and it's never spit grease out. But, I was still disapointed when I got done and I had a gasket left!

Chad aka "Chili"
1974 Base coupe in Carrera outfit.
No A/C, no Sun Roof, no power windows. Fast and light, just the way I like it. (Sad to say, it's sold. But at least it remains with us on this board.)
My car http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/CHILI
1969 RSR Project. Heavy on the word PROJECT! No pictures yet. Keeps breaking lenses of cameras.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

As Wil says, if you are using the M8x50 you have overtorqued your bolts.

I didn't even know you could peel the paper off when I regreased mine. I figured it out and went back in to stick them -- they didn't!

Question for the group: How often does the circlip holding the CV need to be replaced? After each removal? After many, many years of use? After number of times?

Many thanks,
John
Old 01-27-2004, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I'll drive it around and see what happens.

As for the size of the bolts, they are the 10 mm bolts, four per side. I even found a place locally that carries Schnorr washers.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

I also left the backing on a gasket of mine. Didn't realize until I did the other side.

I have had no leaks and will replace it in the spring when I do a clutch job.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Thanks tt targa!!! That is very encouraging.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: