Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Better Market to sell 911 - L.A. or S.F.?

I am getting ready to put my 87 911 on the market and can sell it either from my home in the S.F. Bay Area or could bring it down to L.A. to have my brother sell it for me. Is there any advantage to either market? I figure the better winter weather in L.A. may make a difference?

Old 01-27-2004, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

O.k. - maybe I should be more specific. If I were to sell an 87 Carrera in very good condition: exterior 8.5 - 9 / 10; interior 8.5 / 10, mechanically solid, 117K, guards red, new Bilstein HDs and hollow torsion bars, otherwise stock. etc. in the LA area what price could I expect?
Old 01-27-2004, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have bought Porsches in both northern and southern CA, (I lived in both places as well). and I am inherently more suspicious of Southern CA cars b/c of the all the Porsche abuse that goes on in LA - there are some truly talented wrenches in LA, and some pretty creative hacks as well.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
How big of a hurry are you in? $16-18K plus or minus would be my guess.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah - that's what I figured as well. Not a huge hurry - but I thought with the better weather in L.A. right now it may be a better market there in the near term. It is really a matter of garage space (can't let her sleep outside) and a new car is coming.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
The internet makes the question moot....
Old 01-27-2004, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Well to a point. Many people like to see the car in person before buying so if there is a stronger market in L.A. right now it would make sense to put the car down there. Certainly the L.A. economy is stronger right now that that of SiliValley.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
Sold my 914/6 conversion for 16K...two days after posting on evilbay....going to Illinois.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yeah Mike - I know that it often works best that way. I sold a 993 C4 Cab via eBay a few years back to a gentleman in San Diego. That may be the way I end up going with this one as well.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
My impression, from reading stories on this BBS for a while, is that Carreras seem to sell for a bit more in the SF Bay Area than in Los Angeles. I can't give any facts for this, its just a general recollection. A possible reason is supply - there are far fewer 911s in the SF Bay Area.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

ZCAT3
If you haul it to LA for your brother to sell, now when the potential buyer shows up asking about it's history he/she will get the "I'm not sure, I'm selling it for my brother"....pretty close to the famous "I'm selling it for a friend". I know your bro will be more heads-up, but most of us feel better talking face to face with the owner, and the more history / personal knowledge the better the buyer feels, hence a higher price for you.

I just bought a '87 911 in LA. The seller was in Mississippi, and drove out to the 'Promised Land' (California) to sell it. The first deal fell through, and he had to go home. So his 911 is in LA and he is in Mississippi trying to sell it. It is going from one buddie's house to the next, with not much motivation (his friends were getting tired of dealing with it). Needless to say I got a killer-plus deal (thanks to fellow Pelicanheads recommending a great PPI guy, Robert at Dutch Treat).

I'd keep it in the Bay area, and work it yourself. Not much differences in the market areas, and no go-betweens.
Good luck
'87 911 Carrera '59 356 Coupe
'66 912 Speedster '99 996 Ducati
Old 01-27-2004, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The only problem I have is when our new car arrives we will not have garage space for the 911. At that point I will likely put it on consignment at a local reputable broker here in the Bay Area (California Motorsports in Mountain View). They think I can get 17K out of it after their commission, so perhaps that is what I will do. Looking over at the rennlist classifieds there are no G-50 Carreras for less than 20K and some of them have more miles than my car.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'm not here.

Garage
You may have a hard time selling Guards Red in SF. It definitely is a Southern Cal color.
But then again, the south bay or north of SF, ie: Napa Valley may have some interest...nevermind, good luck.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Guards Red was not my first choice but the car was the best example I could find at the time. The color grows on you over time and now I like it. It is very unique - at least here - and I can always find my car People also tend to get out of my way on the freeway even when I am not going fast.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I'm not here.

Garage
yeah, I know. the color is intimidating.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by K. Roman
You may have a hard time selling Guards Red in SF. It definitely is a Southern Cal color.
Maybe a nice pink for SF? Or perhaps a pastel?
Old 01-27-2004, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
I'm not here.

Garage
Ouch. I didn't mean it in an offensive way. I just think red is a hugely popular color for LA and I never see that color out here. People seem to prefer these sort of grey, blue tones alot more.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Someone around here has a purplish-pink 964 - not my favorite of colors. I had a local police officer tell me my car looked like it was breaking the speed limit while parked on the street.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: