Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

S'man -- Directions (from I-5) to the Boeing Surplus store? I have to make a Seattle trip tomorrow.

Wil -- Where do you buy those connectors?

Old 01-28-2004, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Unconstitutional Patriot

Waytek Wire recently started carrying the crimp connectors with solder and/or heat shrink embedded.

Heat Shrink Sealed Terminals - Waytek Wire PDF

Heat Shrink and Solder Splice Connectors - Waytek Wire PDF

Jürgen
Old 01-28-2004, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Waytek is an excellent source..and the Ancor products are usually the kind using glue ( not solder)..and work well.
---Wil Ferch
Old 01-28-2004, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
non of the crimp connectors have solder in them. The 2 main kinds are heat shrink alone or heat shrink w/ glue. The advantage of the later is that the joint will be sealed from all atmospheric/environmental effects.

The Ancor have the additional advantage of being fully "tinned" ie covered w/ a solder patina to further reduce the potential for corrosion at the joint. The solder is not part of the mechanical connection. This fully "tinned" type of connector works best w/ the fully "tinned" marine grade wire, which has each individual strand "tinned".
Old 01-28-2004, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Bill:
You say none of the crimp connectors have solder in them?

I dunno....
See
< Heat Shrink and Solder Splice Connectors - Waytek Wire PDF >
as mentioned by Juergen earlier.
---Wil Ferch
Old 01-29-2004, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
I stand corrected, never seen that type before, usually a soldered and crimped joint is done in 2 separate procedures using genaric heat shrink. I wonder if a regular heat gun as used w/ the others is suffecient to melt the "low temperature" solder?
Old 01-29-2004, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Bill:
I've only ( personally) used the stuff with glue in it...works fine to add mechanical integrity plus water-tight seal...but this stuff has me intrigued as that "extra measure".

Dunno....good point about the relatively different melting points...

---Wil Ferch
Old 01-29-2004, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Schleprock

Just curious why one would use heat shrink for the full length of the wire? Once you shrink it, doesn't the wire(s) get rather stiff and inflexible. Why not use PVC sheathing for your wires and if you're concerned about contamination at the open ends, put some heat shrink at the ends only?

I give Waytek as well. High quality stuff, wide selection of products, nice printed and online catalogs, thorough check of your invoice to be sure you get what you ordered, etc. They run a good outfit IMHO.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Don't see the prior reference to using heat shrink for the *full* length of the wire...where is that said KTL?

What am I missing...??

---Wil Ferch
Old 01-31-2004, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Schleprock

For some reason I got the impression Colin was running a long length of wiring for the fuel pump connection. Though he wanted to shield the wiring with heatshrink. My mistake. I should have known from seeing his previous work that he'd not attempt such a thing.

Thanks for the correction Wil.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I'm using that black plastic split sheath stuff for the entire run, and it seems to resist abrasion in the tunnel fairly well. The heat shrink will just go on the connectors, where I'm currently using those plastic-covered insulated crimp terminals. I think the heatshrink will be a much better long-term solution for keeping the corrosion down.

I'm getting lots of good information out of this thread - thanks everyone!
Old 01-31-2004, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Kevin/KTL:
To be clear....I wasn't beating up on you....just clarifying, in case it came out in an unsavory way..

---Wil

Old 01-31-2004, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: