Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Trial Image Post- 73.5T oil tank

image test post

Old 01-27-2004, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Does anyone have a pictures like this for an earlier car ('69 era) oil tank?

-Britain
Old 01-27-2004, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Schleprock

Whadda ya building there Jim? Looks great. Yellow early 911s are great looking cars.

Tell me how much fun it was to reinstall that engine bay engine tin seal. I personally thought that seal was a bear to install.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

This is my son's '73.5 T undergoing nearly a full restoration; car is now operational. I'm preparing a post of images from various stages of the restoration; hope to upload it tonight.

Installing the engine tin seals was very easy but then everything was clean and new except the front compartment seal which was missing from the kit we purchased. We dug out the old front seal from the pile of junked parts (never throw anything away until you're done) cleaned it up and reused it. The was also plenty of easy access to the area (car jacked up and no engine in bay). One key to installing the seals more easily is to open the crimps at the ends of the metal channels that retain the seals. This reduces the friction of sliding the seal into the channel. Then once the seal is in place recrimp the channels to retain the seals. Once the engine was in place we used plastic bicycle tire spoons (son is also into bicycling) to spread/split open the seal to get one leaf above the engine tin and the other below. The plastic spoons will not mar the paint on the engine tin. Cheers, Jim
Old 01-28-2004, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Schleprock

Jim,

I did just what you said in regards to spreading the crimps a bit. Still found it a little tiring once the seal was into the corners. A bit more silicone spray and more channel spreading next time........

Looking forward to the chronology of the restoration.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: