Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Are there 2 different kinds of 915 Shifter Housings

I've come across two different kinds of 915 shifter housings... one with a large 19mm-ish nut at the front and one without it.

Anyone have any knowledge about this anomaly?

Old 01-28-2004, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

There were some changes from 1972 to 1973.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

Actually, there are three 915 shifters ...

1. 1972-only was quite similar to the '64 thru '71 shifter ...

2. 1973 thru about 1978 915 shifters had an alloy housing with rollpins in the fore and aft position for pivots -- #5 in the diagram below ...

3. Later 915 alloy shifter housings had a large, pointed set screw with large locknut replacing the forward rollpin ... the setscrew is used to tension the pivot plates to adjust for wear and loss of lubrication as the white lithium grease from the factory deteriorates!!!

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 01-28-2004, 01:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info guys!

Early_S_Man, are all the 1973 and later 915 housings interchangeable eventhough the design is a little different? I'm sure they are but does the tension bolt make a big difference?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2004, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There is a great shifter page here lots of information!!
Old 01-28-2004, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Reguarding the shifter that warren has posted above on the left, if anyone has not taken that apart, cleaned all the grease, replaced the spring and spring seats; cleaned all the old grease off of shift rod at shifter and regreased; replaced the shifter bushings, I would advise anyone of you to do so. When I took mine apart the grease was almost fused in the cup that the shifter sits in. I could not cleaned it with a rag, had to scrap it out. My car now shifts like never before. I was also able to dig shifter rod seal out in less than an hour. I went through tunnel (back seat). Much easier then I thought it would be.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: