Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Friend of Warren

Engine bay rubber sealing strip

I need to install a new engine bay sealing strip as shown in this excellent photo taken by Jim Sims. It looks like it will be a *****, so I thought I would check and see if there are any good tips. Should I try to slide it in? How do you get around the corners. Maybe use a putty knife to just try to push into the metal retainer?

Old 01-28-2004, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Certified Pre-Owned

I've done it, its no big deal, its not a super-engineered seal anyway if ya know what I mean...
Old 01-28-2004, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

Kurt,

Yes, it will slide in, but you need to make sure there aren't any 'dents' or damage to the track anywhere along the length of the seal. Better to expand the track at any damaged locations until the new seal is in place ... then use needle-nose Vise-Grips to slightly crimp around the new seal.

I used silicone grease on the new seal to ease installation.

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 01-28-2004, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Thanks guys!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mine would not slide - no way (painter painted in the metal channel).

This worked for me:
Lube copiously with soapy water. Get some of it started by pushing with a screwdriver flat blade or similar. Insert a hook tool into the area between rubber and metal (the top one) and pull or push along while holding the bottom ridge on the rubber in the channel. Use a larger chrome hook tool such as the Snap-Off brand (the chrome is smoother).

I did it in about an hour of back wrenching work due to the position - a lift would be nice.

Offer the strip to the metal first and watch out for moving it too much to one side -- it may slide back once in the channel. Also, clean dirt out of the channel first.

Use a new rubber seal BTW.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: