Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Virginia Rocks!

Quote:
Originally posted by SprintStar
Err... I don't see any references to the US....

I said ignore me!

Old 01-28-2004, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by VaSteve
I said ignore me!
Nite nitez Stevie.

Sprint.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

My ex 88 carrera had a single fuel injector fail wide open. It started running rough and i thought i had wet plug lead or the like. The injector kept pumping raw fuel which filled the cat with fuel, then it was big backfire, kaboom and up she went. By the time it was out the damage bill was $15k. Bottom line - if the car runs rought, stop driving.

Cheers, Ryan
Old 01-28-2004, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by on-ramp

a 15 year old Porsche? hmmm, that would make it a 1989, worth $40K? and where did they get that figure, perhaps from the driver? (who might file a (fraudulent) claim with the insurance company?)
Well, it's NOT a 15 year old car although it looks like one. It's a 1978 SC with a rumored Ruf-built engine running CIS.

I don't know how they hit on the 40k number but the car if scrapped can get the owner about 25k in deposits with the government. 25k is about 15k USD.

The reason why I'm posting this article is because I'm curious how an engine fire could have started (intentional or not) and if the owner might make a (fraudulent) claim given the car's dark history.

Sprint.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Leland Pate
I find that to be one horribly written news article.

Who CARES what kind of SHORTS the guy was wearing.
OMG.
Hmmm, i wonder if he was wearing slippers or Gucci loafers.

Most Straits Times local news articles are poorly written. Singapore is not the most exciting beat

For example on the top of the online local news section today...

Off-peak cars are now back in demand
OFF-PEAK cars, those red-plated vehicles which can be used only during certain hours, are making a comeback.

This is way OT but more good stuff here, check out the one about a wallet stolen during lunch

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/0,1871,,00.html?

Better stop, i am going to get the Pelican site banned in Singapore.

alf
The Roach

Last edited by alf; 01-28-2004 at 04:56 PM..
Old 01-28-2004, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
With my 86, one of the fuel injectors started leaking....previous owner smelled gas and stopped driving...then replaced all injectors. Luckily he did, or the car could have ended up like Obruts 88.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:

The reason why I'm posting this article is because I'm curious how an engine fire could have started
I don't understand what your looking for..
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 01-28-2004, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Sprintstar, are you the owner of this car?
Old 01-28-2004, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by alf
Hmmm, i wonder if he was wearing slippers or Gucci loafers.

Most Straits Times local news articles are poorly written. Singapore is not the most exciting beat

For example on the top of the online local news section today...

Off-peak cars are now back in demand
OFF-PEAK cars, those red-plated vehicles which can be used only during certain hours, are making a comeback.

Better stop, i am going to get the Pelican site banned in Singapore.

alf
Hi Alfred, are you a fellow Singaporean too?

Sprint.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RoninLB
I don't understand what your looking for..
I'm looking for clues to sabotage. Read the next post for the reason why.

Sprint.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Originally posted by Grady Clay
The moral of this story: SS fuel lines wherever possible;
Great point, Grady. I'm starting to wonder now about all those fuel hoses running into and out of the fuel accumulator on our 73E. And it's all under pretty high pressure, right? Hmmm...what if anything should I consider doing to improve the safety and reliability of the 73E's fuel system?
Old 01-28-2004, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by on-ramp
Sprintstar, are you the owner of this car?
Nope. I'm not the owner of this car.

However, the Porsche circle here in Singapore is fairly small and there's suspicion of sabotage for insurance fraud. How difficult is it to detect?

I'm not related to the insurance company nor newpaper either. My interest in this case is simply I don't wish to see an individual set fire to a car that would get back more money in insurance than sold becoz it's too troublesome (and $$$) to fix properly. When this crap happens, all P-car owners, myself including of coz, are affected as the premiums are likely to shoot up.

Trust me, here in Singapore (and most parts of the world), insurance ain't your friend. I pay thru the nose when I've got a perfect driving record (even got a cert from the local police to prove it) and when I ask why the high premiums, I get the answer that it's set based on average claims. WTF!!! I'm supporting a guy to have an accident? No way, Jose!

Shouldn't it be I no accident, I pay low, that guy accident, he pay high? How's it in the US?

Sprint.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Alfred, are you a fellow Singaporean too?

Sprint.
I was born in Singapore, but left when i was 15.
The Roach
Old 01-28-2004, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
You know he doesn't look all that 'calm' or 'casual' in that photo. He looks like he is about to puke. That's probably how I would look to.

Poor guy.
'76 911S 3.0 RIP
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/BanjoMike
Old 01-28-2004, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Here's 1 minute silence to mourn the sad demise of yet another 911 ..........sob

It's sad to hear about something like that. I hope it wasn't intentional. Being a 911 owner in singapore, I understand where you're coming from sprintstar. No, I do not know this particular car nor the owner, but would be interested to know why U think it might have been intentional.

Anyhow, I'm gonna get myself a larger extinguisher and suggest everyone gets one too.

Dan
Old 01-28-2004, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Cool

If anyone's interested in fire supression ?
there had been some real good info given in previous threads.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 01-28-2004, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Maybe with the insurance money he can buy that monstrosity of a Gembella bought at Barrett Jackson off the proud new owner.
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 01-28-2004, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
It's way faster than a 3.0 hamster mill of a SC. It becomes alive when regular SCs begin to get breathless.
Hamster mill?WTF
Old 01-28-2004, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dan911
Here's 1 minute silence to mourn the sad demise of yet another 911 ..........sob

It's sad to hear about something like that. I hope it wasn't intentional. Being a 911 owner in singapore, I understand where you're coming from sprintstar. No, I do not know this particular car nor the owner, but would be interested to know why U think it might have been intentional.

Anyhow, I'm gonna get myself a larger extinguisher and suggest everyone gets one too.

Dan
Hello Dan!

Nice to know another 911 dude in Singapore.

Yes, it's sad that there are fewer and fewer older Porsches in Singapore, COE system and strict import laws, etc...

I too hope it wasn't intentional as it was a wonderful car (Ruf engine) let down by bad parties. I will not go further than that in public as my suspicions are just suspicions till further can be proved.

Yes, I have a big extingushers in all my VWs and Porsches. They are too precious to me.

We should meet someday. Which part of the island are you from? I stay in the North.

Sprint.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Par911
Hamster mill?WTF
Err... No offence meant. Was just comparing the factory 180hp SC engine to that once-magnificent Ruf engine dwelling in the rear.

Please forgive me.

Sprint.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: