Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

dunno about the cold weather testing, but almost all makers do their hot weather testing in Death Valley in the summer. That is according to Autoweek who ran a fun article about it a few years back.

MFB

86 Targa Carrera
95 BMW 325is daily driver

Old 01-29-2004, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Drove to work at -15 F the other day.
Additional difficulty factors:
[1] Car has no heat.
[2] I did it with the windows and sunroof open! [3] Got up to 65 miles per hour
Old 01-29-2004, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by lomotpk
Drove to work at -15 F the other day.
Additional difficulty factors:
[1] Car has no heat.
[2] I did it with the windows and sunroof open! [3] Got up to 65 miles per hour
I think with wind chill factored in we might have a winner! Or a loser - depending on your perspective.

Keith
'3 BMW X5 (wife's)

http://www.geocities.com/keithlambert7/
Old 01-29-2004, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Had to move my car a few years back while it was in the project phase - temp was around zero, car had no glass in it. No windows, no windshield. Damn near froze to death at 60mph.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

damn, that is too cold I would be afraid to go outside, let alone drive in P car...

sorry to highjack the thread,
Souk - how do you like your zx7, you track it at all?

Old 01-29-2004, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I'd say that 60mph with no windshield is way cooler than just running in 40-below. I mean, these cars were designed for German climates, which aren't always pleasantly warm. I'm actually surprised you knew how cold it was -- most winters in north Idaho, we pretty much gave up on keeping track of temperature once it dropped below about 4 of 5F. I mean, below there, it's just plain cold. You drop through "so cold it hurts to breathe" into "so cold your snot freezes" and right on into "so cold you can throw a cup of water up in the air and it'll fall down ice." By -40(F/C), you've long since dropped through "plastic gets brittle" and it doesn't really matter anymore. I'll never forget a trip through Siberia, seeing a street vendor trying to sell bikinis in 40-below weather and wondering why they weren't selling too well...

Wow, that was way off topic. Whee!

Dan
Old 01-29-2004, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
I would guess that Chrysler now does it's testing here in Europe as well now since most of the new sedan line are Benz products.
2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 01-30-2004, 01:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by djmcmath
I'll never forget a trip through Siberia, seeing a street vendor trying to sell bikinis in 40-below weather and wondering why they weren't selling too well...

Dan
Sybiria in Russia?
Old 01-30-2004, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

For the last week I driven the car in sub-zero temperatures. As I said before, the car feels much tighter and safer than at 90F. There's a groan when you start it, and it searches for idle for about a minute. It's creaky, and the suspension is rock hard, but that's it. Amazing engineering.
There's one problem, though: if you drive in these temperatures, the wiper blades become unelastic. So when you spray the windows with wiper fluid, the wipers won't wipe it. Can be quite problematic at night.
Bet the California guys don't know what the hell I'm talking about....
Old 01-30-2004, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by m325ix
Sybiria in Russia?
Novosibirsk, in November. Cold there. Folks don't own thermometers, both 'coz they're really poor, and 'coz it doesn't really help any. It's been so far below freezing for so long, it just doesn't make any difference. Needless to say, they don't enjoy the benefits of driving air-cooled Porskovitches up there too much.

Dan
Old 01-30-2004, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally posted by m325ix

Souk - how do you like your zx7, you track it at all?

I like the Ninja quite a bit. I don't track it...maybe someday...right now the 911 keeps me pretty busy.

(Nice ZX7RR!!!! Nice!)

And back on topic...I've ridden a motorcycle in sub freezing temps...try 2.5 hrs at HWY speeds...when I got off I could hardly walk and my eyes looked like puffer fish!

Last edited by MotoSook; 02-01-2004 at 10:46 PM..
Old 01-30-2004, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: