Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rotella Synthetic 5w-40, any leaks?

Thought I would try Rotella. WalMart sells both Rotella dino 15W-40 and Rotella synthetic 5w-40. My '87 will leak with Mobil1 so does Rotella synthetic have a reputation for leaking also?
I've tried RedLine synthetic and can say it never has leaked, just like dino, but it just costs too much.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
No facts whatsoever but my guess is that if it leaked w/ Mobil1 it will leak w/ Rotella synthetic. I don't know what to say about it not leaking w/ Redline other than if I find something that works, I stick w/ it regarless of cost.

I would think that dino oil and regular changes should be fine for your engine though.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bollweevil

Just a thought re: synthetic oils but I've been running Castrol 20W-50 Syntec Blend for the past couple of years. I live in an area where heat is real problem but was leary of full synthetics because of the potential for leaks. This dino/synthetic blend seemed like a good compromise and I have been pleased with it so far.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
retired, mostly

I switched from dino oil to Shell Rotella synthetic on my SC and I went from no leaks to a small leak onto the passenger side heat exchanger. YMMV
Old 01-28-2004, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
RE: Blends

From what I've heard, you are better off dollar wise to use dino oil and just throw in two quarts of synthetic, same thing. Or cheaper yet, just use dino, it still works pretty good.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
My car never leaked....but it used to "weep" oil around some of the fittings on the oil lines and the little oil lines in the engine compartment.

Since switching to Rotella dino, many months ago...the "weeps" are gone completely.

Car runs fantastic. No need for synthetic Mobile One that cleans too heavily and causes weeps. Go Rotella dino. Its more than just a cool name for some oil.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: