Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ZOANAS
To each his own, I suppose. I'd rather have the deep pockets of a manufacturer to go after than the Big O tire patch guy. Do the governing bodies of these autocrosses and racing events require any level of safety? Are they aware of patched tires? Or is it "enter at your own risk."?
There is no possible way to visually tell if a tire is professionally patched (assuming it is mounted).

A professional patch requires dismounting the tire, inspecting the leak, patching the leak from the inside (so centrifical force holds the patch even tighter against the leak), remounting and balancing the tire/wheel combo. It runs about $15-20 and will last the life of the tire.

If they were not safe, the DOT (and Ralph Nader) would have jumped on them years ago.

Old 01-30-2004, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
UFLYICU

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ZOA NOM
So, you're saying the Z rating is still good with a patch in the tire?
Racer Rix Spec911 #5

prc-racing.com
Old 01-30-2004, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Quote:
So, you're saying the Z rating is still good with a patch in the tire?
Most experts agree that a tire that has been compromised (punctured) is not longer speed rated to the original limit.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
UFLYICU

Garage
So, the speed rating of the tire is apparently unimportant to some? Some choose to make their own judgements about the engineering of the tire, and whether it is safe to use in a way that is contradictory to the manufacturer's recommendations. I have no problem with that. I would say, however, that it is that very mentality that fills the list of Darwin Awards winners.

To all the "engineers" out there who know more than the manufacturers, I salute you, and encourage you to test your theories vigorously. The more of you that eliminate yourselves from the traffic jam, the less encumbered my commute becomes.
Racer Rix Spec911 #5

prc-racing.com

Last edited by ZOA NOM; 01-30-2004 at 05:40 PM..
Old 01-30-2004, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
I'm a Country Member

Get the tyre demounted and properly patched at tyre shop, it will be fine. Take the money, add to it and buy two new tyres when the time comes.

Caveat- if the sidewall of the punctured tyre is damaged, chuck it.

Ive used a set of de-treaded (technical term for bald) tyres with multiple puncture repairs on the track, no problem. But then, sessions at half a dozen laps at a time dont put sustained high temp stress on the tyre (or the driver for that matter.)

stuart 87carrera

Pikkiwoki. A pig and all the coconuts you can carry. Convert now.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Quote:
So, the speed rating of the tire is apparently unimportant to some? Some choose to make their own judgements about the engineering of the tire, and whether it is safe to use in a way that is contradictory to the manufacturer's recommendations. I have no problem with that. I would say, however, that it is that very mentality that fills the list of Darwin Awards winners.

To all the "engineers" out there who know more than the manufacturers, I salute you, and encourage you to test your theories vigorously. The more of you that eliminate yourselves from the traffic jam, the less encumbered my commute becomes.
The ability to hold air (in itself) has nothing to do with the speed rating of the tire.

The speed rating of the tire is based on the ability of the carcass to sustain centrifical forces and heat over a period of time.

Assuming the carcass (including the tread, belts, and compound) are still intact, a tire that has been patched can still run 200 mph - safely. Common product liability lawsuits require tire manufacturers to error on the side of idiocy - hence their recommendation that repaired tires are not speed rated.

If a tire loses air at speed, it will quickly overheat and fail. I have never heard of a properly installed patch failing.

Last edited by Emission; 01-30-2004 at 07:50 PM..
Old 01-30-2004, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

UFLYICU

Garage
Well, I'll agree to disagree. If you're comfortable racing on tires that have been patched, I won't try to convince you that it's not worth losing your life for a $75 tire.
Racer Rix Spec911 #5

prc-racing.com
Old 01-30-2004, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Quote:
Well, I'll agree to disagree. If you're comfortable racing on tires that have been patched, I won't try to convince you that it's not worth losing your life for a $75 tire.
Agreed.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
Well, I'm glad that got straightened out. See what you started Dave?
Old 01-30-2004, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

LOL, Ryan. Talk about "Birth of a Thread."

My idea is to puncture the other three tires, patch them, then stick a 350 V8 in my car, and of course get rid of my sway bars, because they're nothing but x-tra weight, after all, and the torsion bars should take care of any "sway." Oh, and by the way, who needs front brakes? Just more weight IMO. Then I'm gonna' try for 135 mph between 8 and 9 at Willow, lifting being no option of course...

Darwin Award here I come.

Old 01-30-2004, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
UFLYICU

Garage
ROFLMAO!
Racer Rix Spec911 #5

prc-racing.com
Old 01-30-2004, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

I fabbed a set of 245 45 R16's out of patches. Nothing else, just tire patches. So far they're holding up pretty well. They grip wonderfully, as I would expect since I used 3M double-sided patches. Can you say 'sticky'?
Old 01-31-2004, 12:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
I'm a Country Member

dd74, I for one would be truly impressed if you try that with a rear wing AND NO FRONT CHIN.

stuart 87 carrera

Pikkiwoki. A pig and all the coconuts you can carry. Convert now.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: