Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Easier/better ways to clean crank and case?

After spending too many hours cleaning cases and cranks on a couple of engines, I am wondering how everyone else is cleaning theirs. My routine:

Case: dunk and marinate in solvent. Final clean with many cans of carb cleaner, 100's of Q tips, compressed air, alcohol.

Crank: after machine shop polishing, spend hours cleaning out polishing gunk from oil plugs with many cans of carb cleaner, 100's of Q tips, compressed air, alcohol.

I don't stop until the swabs come perfectly clean, including removing all oil stains in case.

Easier/better ways??

Old 01-29-2004, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mike,

This recent thread discusses at least one of your inquiries.... Engine & Tranny cleaning
Old 01-29-2004, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rick
That thread actually triggered my inquiry. Grady's setup sounds great, with multiple tubs and tanks, but not practical for a DIY'r. And, I was specifically looking at cleaning the case and crank as opposed to the engine/tranny. I am just amazed as to how long it has taken me to clean these two things. And, surely there is a better way than carb cleaner and cotton swabs.....
Old 01-29-2004, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What actually is Hot tanking?? I have seen some pictures on this board that are the item has been hot tanked and they looked awesome.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I need to clarify. I am talking about cleaning the inside of the case. Outside is easy. Chemicals and gravity do most of the work...
Old 01-29-2004, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

MikeB,

See the other thread also. Engine & Tranny cleaning

I think the only way to reasonably clean the blind areas is with aerosol cleaners and the plastic pipe that comes with them. If the place you are trying to clean is beyond the range of those 6Ē wands, get some appropriate tubing for extension.
The alternative is to remove the pressed-in plugs. I donít recommend that.

I suspect most F1, CART, IRL, NASCAR builders replace everything in sight for fear of some latent contamination. When the Factory was racing it used one-race-only engines for their front line events. Afterwards they sold the cars to us customers or used them as mules.

Best,
Grady

Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 01-29-2004, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: