Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Did you get the memo?

911T w/ Webers Fuel Filter Location?

Hi all, I'm in the process of putting my T back together after my wonderful broken pivot pin, and taking advantage of having the engine out to fix a lot of stuff. One thing though, my car does not seem to have a fuel filter, at least not that I can find. All that I've seen have a filter inline somewhere in the engine bay, but mine does not. I ordered a new one from Pelican, should I just put it somewhere inline before the fuel line splits off to the dual carbs? What is the typical location for a 70T with Webers? My car was converted at some point in the past, I suspect that they simply didn't bother with a fuel filter. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Supergranule
my 71 T has Webers and has 2 filters, each very close to the carbs. I don't know if they are in the correct spot or not though...

yay for 2.2L Ts with webers! boo for rust!
Old 01-29-2004, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The factory filters are bronze or brass screens inserted in the inlet of each carb, just past each banjo bolt. Typically, they are in pieces by now. I'd remove them and replace them with a couple of external inline filters, one coarse, one finer (closer to the carbs). Easier to inspect and service.

Sherwood
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars
Old 01-29-2004, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Seldom Seen Member

I put two can filters in the lines to the carbs. Some prior owner put a filter on the return line, the logic of which escapes me, but what do I know? . . .

Got nachos?
Old 01-29-2004, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Matt,

Is your fuel plump under the rear or on the front cross member?
A regular fuel filter will work fine when just prior to the “tee” pipe that sends the fuel to each carb.

What is the condition of the hoses? How are the clamps?
Check for any leaks. Please Visit:

Rubber hose

And

How did it catch fire?

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 01-29-2004, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Thanks for the answers guys. Grady, the fuel pump is up front, and the hoses in the engine bay seem to be solid, but without a hose clamp in sight, which seems kind of scary to me. I have an inline filter from Pelican that is appearently their factory replacement, I'm just going to put it in before the T, since it seems like that's ok. I'll check/ remove the Weber filters as well. Everythings getting clamps too, better safe than sorry.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You do not have permissi

On mine the hard line fitting comes up out of the left tire well and has a regular fuel hose(w/can filter inline) going to the "t" to each carb. There are two metal tabs which I looped around the "t" to kind of secure it but other than that the hose/filter just flops around. (?!).
The factory "filters" in each carb inlet fitting should be super clean and stay that way with a can filter.

Definitely check for leaks, old hoses, and that everything moves nice. I rebuilt my carbs a year ago and had some experiences. Almost burnt up the car when the cheapo needle valves stuck open(in the up position!) and there was gas spouting out of the bowl vent tubes. I wondered why the car started smoking and the oil level was to the fill cap.
Get the PMO float level gauge and the airflow meter to balance them.

Last edited by john70t; 01-29-2004 at 08:42 PM..
Old 01-29-2004, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Grady Clay

A regular fuel filter will work fine
your ice and baffle thread is great..

Would you have an idea of the filter micron screen ?
I don't think it's below 10 mic ?
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 01-29-2004, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Matt:
Any kind of good in-line fuel pump before your carbs would be good. Preferrably get one you can see into (sort of), so you can spot sediment buuld up - although they should be changed on a regular basis. I also put a filter inline before the pump in the back of my car to keep little crud pieces that make it past the screen in the fuel tank from getting into my pump. I don't think you can have too many filters.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Anyone know if this filter Pelican sells "Fuel Filter, 911 thru 1971 w/Carbs 311-133-511D" is see through. Better yet anyone with a pic?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

My car had this metal fuel filter just after the tank, under the steering rack pan (the place where you put the bump steer kit).

Although...my car had SEVEN fuel filter along the line, and fuel injection pump. After we removed the filters the pump got so much gasoline that it blew up the fuel hoses in the engine bay.

I bought new pump, put one filter before it (pump has one internal) and put 15 bar silicone/rubber lines through the center tunnel. No problems since. Oh yeah, did not use return line to anything.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

B D- the Pelican filter you listed is half transparent, the other half is black I think. It's the one I have, simple inline filter with what appears to be a paper element inside. It's something like -6 outside right now, so forgive me for not going out to my uninsulated/ unheated garage to take a pic right now.

Old 01-30-2004, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: