Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Where to get the perlon?

Msailor: Where did you get the perlon kit? Looks relly nice.
Tnx,
SMD

Old 01-30-2004, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to msailer
appbiz

Not sure if he has a website. This is alink to his ebay auctions, where I got mine.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=appbiz
Old 01-30-2004, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Dan, I'm just using matt black spray cans (that's the second coat on the back). It looks better in real life. I'll see if I can get a better picture (I put the charger for my digital camera somewhere really safe...).

Love what Chris has done with his car. Ultimately I'd like something that hard core... but at the moment I have to keep the car fairly close to stock for the class I want to race in.

Regards,
Andrew.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

AMK -- the matte black actually looks pretty good. I'm not sure whether I prefer the Perlon or the straight-up raw paint. I'll probably end up going with a compromise, like Chris described -- Dynamat or something around the back edges, then Perlon over the top of it all.

Thanks, all,

Dan
Old 01-30-2004, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I found the camera charger, so I have to post a couple more pics

A coat or two more and a bit of tidying up and I'm done.

I actually left some of the sound deadening material on the floor and just sprayed over... might come back for that another time. I had no where near as much sound deadening as Britain, maybe it one of those Rest Of World things.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Bob -- Google the sites for Quiet Cote and Cascades Audio. ANd search here for some of my prev. posts on lightwt. sound deadeners. I would not use Brown Brd. myself.

There are two types of sound deadeners - the older kind is designed to just make the resonant frequency of the panel such a low frquency that it is inaudible -- that is done by adding wt.

The newer typ encapsuates micro beads in the material and is designed to absorb the sound and dissipate it as heat. Sound is really just vibrations in a medium such as air. This latter material is the type to use for light wt. deadening.

Some manfs. also make thermal and sound barrier materials -- that is what I plan to use for the fire wall.

I recently sprayed the underside of the tranny tunnel and the inside of the same with the QC material. Engine is out now but will test eventually I hope.

Also, be sure to replace the engine sound pad on the ext. of the firewall -- these degrade over a few years and look intact, yet let sound thru. The new ones are lighter than the old by a lot, so you can upgrade and lose wt. at the same time.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Nobody

Garage
darn it randy - i just ordered $165 worth of vcomp and brown bread. now i have to continue my search as you suggested.

seriously - thanks. i have not yet reached the point of no return. i just finished scraping all the sound material and will be grinding the rest to bare metal this weekend.

let me see what i come up with. i was following this page for info:
http://www.rallystuff.com/pcar_interior.html

i had read about a paint on noise killer in previous posts but as i recall it was just all talk. no one had actually used the product to share their feedback.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

A bunch of us on here have used Vcomp or Lcomp and brown bread or dynamat. After I bought mine, I stripped the interior completely, and it was unbearably loud. Its painfully loud now, but it was unbearable then.

The addition of about 6 sq ft of dynamat extreme and 15 sq ft of Lcomp made it quiet enough that you can converse with a passenger if you are shouting. I still wear ear plugs on loud drives, though.

I put the appbiz perlon RS kit in, and it looks nice. Very sparse, but its tolerably quiet and looks better than the half-assed paint job I would've been able to do without an air compressor.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Here is another tidbit to save wt. -- you can put sound deadener on in strips in a square or crisscross pattern (thus using less of it). This will prevent the whole panel from acting like a drum and isolate it into a series of smaller and more rigid areas.

Also think about the sources of noise -- is it from 1. sound waves or 2. impact (such as rocks, debris kicked by the wheels).

For #1 also think about the freq. of the noise and how to deal with tranny whine as vs. exhaust roar. What you really want to do is let the "good" noise in and keep the "bad" nose out.

New materials allow us to do a better job than the factory did in the 70's or to do about the same level but with less wt.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

That's it, it was Chris's car that has the beautiful interior. I like the body colored interior with no carpets or mats. The no slip sticker are a nice touch.

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-31-2004, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: