Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

30 lbs savings!! Interior Stripping...

Well...have a couple of days scrapping away at the interior of my car, I have completely removed all the factory tar paper and sound deadening. Now I have to start stripping the paint out and grinding away the seam sealer.

I know that some thinks highly of this procedure to both 911 chassis and 914 chassis and after doing this I would have to agree. I thought I had a rust free tub, but I was mistaken...I found some areas of surface rust in the corners of rear deck and some on the floor boards. I also straightened out the floorboards from people jacking the car up incorrectly. Its getting there. POR-15 to come soon.

For the weight freaks here...all the tar paper and sound deadening stuff weighed 30 lbs!!

-Britain

Before:

After:

Old 01-29-2004, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Heck I'm only 5 not 67!

Garage
Dam Looking at that brings back some bad memories!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I like what you have done and I aim to follow in your footsteps.

The car is getting a new drivetrain, might as well make it look nice also.

-Britain
Old 01-29-2004, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
wanna buy a stripper pole

Send a message via Yahoo to KevinP73
Thats got to be one of the nastiest tasks you can do. Here's a shot in Bahama Yellow.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I like the idea of painting it nicely. I was planning on just hand-painting POR-15 and then putting in a nice carpet kit.

-Britain
Old 01-29-2004, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I've seen some pics of cars where it was painted nicely and the left carpetless. That's what i'd like to do.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-29-2004, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I stripped that too, and talk about GLUE...it was everywhere, wonder if they threw a bucketful of it in the car. I removed all i could, wiped it clean with solvent, and painted it with Hammerite black (POR15, I think).

Came out just nicely, now to buy some carpet material.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yep the glue was pretty bad. I took a wire brush to mine. I'm half way through spraying the bare metal matt black.

I started out replacing the shift bushings... once I lifted the carpet to get the gear stick out I couldn't stop

(gee my phone takes bad pictures!)

Old 01-29-2004, 11:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have already done that trick.. two years ago.. and yeah it DOES remove a crap load of weight. and it's FREE if you don't put a $ on your time.
it's a messy job that yeah , take a few good days of work to get done right.
NICE work though.. There is more of it up on the foot well on the side of the tub aswell as more on the inside of the door.. if you're goona remove it ..might as well get it all.
weight is a killer!!!!

Eric

Eric

" The reason the Irish are always fightin one another is that there are no other worthy opponents ".
Old 01-30-2004, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
.what he said, brings up bad memories of squatting in the car and soaking up aircraft stripper fumes...

Mine had been painted with textured trunk paint over all the factory crap making a HUGE mess...

Looks good now though...

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2010 Harley 48
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 01-30-2004, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Quote:
Originally posted by masraum
I've seen some pics of cars where it was painted nicely and the left carpetless. That's what i'd lie to do.
I did that to mine - the transmission noise was un-freakin-bearable.
Various VWs
Old 01-30-2004, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Wow, you guys have gotten me all motivated now. Pics of cleanly painted stripped out P-car interiors do funny things to me. AMK -- love the way the finished spots look -- how is it that you're doing that? Maybe it's just the low quality of the phone-generated image, but it looks pretty sweet.

Cstreit -- yours looks like a lot more than what I'm going for. Is it possible to compromise somewhere between the ultimate track-day car and the luxury of a quiet interior? Is it possible to gain some weight savings without making the car miserable to take a date out in?

You guys are amazing,

Dan
Old 01-30-2004, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yuou may be willing to sprip it bare and then just glue Pelon to the tub.. it works for me.. still a bit loud for those who like quiet cars.. but i love it . less weight mean a snappier car.

Eric

" The reason the Irish are always fightin one another is that there are no other worthy opponents ".
Old 01-30-2004, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Dan, Do a search on sounproofing or interior. There were a few discussions on lightweight soundproofing materials to use when lightening up.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RickM
Dan, Do a search on sounproofing or interior. There were a few discussions on lightweight soundproofing materials to use when lightening up.
Beautiful -- thanks Rick. And I was worried I wouldn't have a good weekend project! :>

Dan
Old 01-30-2004, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Cstreit:
Sorry if I asked before....please ID the steering wheel.

---Wil Ferch
Old 01-30-2004, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Wil, It's a Fittapaldi Suede if I recall correctly.

Dan,

If I were to compromise, I'd probably put some of those self-stick sound-mats on the rear of the compartment, around the trans and engine... ANd just perlon felt the rest of the car...

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2010 Harley 48
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 01-30-2004, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
911 driver

Talking

If you want to go for the stripped out look while still having some soundproofing I recommend this product:

http://www.noisekiller.com/NK_gray.htm

It's a liquid sound deadening material.
Spray it on first, then paint it the color of your choice. The sound deadening material will then be almost invisible. Much lighter than the asphalt mats, and any overspray can be cleaned up with plain water.

Your local auto hifi shop should have it (or a similar product).
Old 01-30-2004, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Nobody

Garage
has anyone actually used the noisekiller - real world experiences/feedback would be appreciated.

for those of you who will not be re-installing new sound deadening material - is it a street car as well? i am currently ripping out my interior to replace with RS carpet. i was only half done and the noise was ridiculous just putting the car back in the garage. i want to save weight but i will not sacrifice driveability.

i plan to use brown bread and bquiet vcomp.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to msailer
Putting in a perlon carpet kit cuts the noise consideralbly. Much more user friendly.
Here are pictures of my interior that was totally stripped and replaced with perlon.
http://www.msailer.com/porsche4sale/interior/interior.htm

Mark

Old 01-30-2004, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: