Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Narrow rear fenders and front torsion bars

I am in the process of going through my suspension, and would love some opinions on front torsion bar size. The car is a 71T with a 3.0 ROW SC Motor. Tires are 205/55 16s on all 4 corners -- I have not wanted to flare the fenders. My new rear setup has Chuck's polybronze bushings, 27 mm torsion bar, and bilstein HDs. I had SC bars in there before.

So here is the question. 21 or 22mm torsion bar up front? I heard an argument today that because I haven't widened the rear footprint, running a 21 up front will make the car oversteer / too loose and that the higher spring rate of the 22 will serve me much better.

The car is a weekend warrior and sees only a handful of track / auto-x days.

So -- before I get into the front suspension (stock bar in there now), what do you guys think?

21 front and 27 rear, or
22 front and 27 rear, given my narrow fenders...

thanks,

Jamie

Old 01-29-2004, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I assume your car is a coupe.

Jamie,

The 3.0 is a LOT heavier than the original 2.2T so tail-heavier is a consideration.
Perhaps 19 or 20 - 27 torsion bars with a 18-19 front sway bar and 14 rear or no rear. You donít want a tail happy 911 on the street Ė not fun.
For auto-X you can reattach the rear sway bar. All you have to do is leave one link unattached and zip tie/clamp it to the bar.

If you take your 911 more seriously competing there are many things you can do and some that you must do. Research the forums.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 01-29-2004, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My E is in the process of having new torsion bars fitted - 31 hollow rears, 22 solid fronts - mainly to keep the rubber off metal (!) and for occasional track work. Wheels / tires are 205/55/16 on 6s up front, 225/50/16 on 7s on the rear. When I was looking around last year, the info I got was that the 22s were a little big when combined with 27s. The general consensus seems to be 21mm work better with the 27s.

There is a fair bit of info on the forum. Just do a search on torsion bars.

Ash
Old 01-29-2004, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

thanks for your comments. I have gon through the forum threads, and it sounds like the set-up is 21 with 27. I was concerned, however, that most of these cars have flared rear fenders and wider rear wheels...

I might try to roll my fender lip to fit a 225/50 on a 1 inch wider wheel in there.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just be careful with the 225s - trial fit first if you can. With a lot of the early cars they just won't fit. There seems to be a fair bit of variance in clearance. Mine will only work with rolled guards, big torsion bars, a little neg camber and big sway bars. Even then it will be close - I won't be able to drop the car as low as I wanted to.

Good luck - post some pics!

Ash

Old 01-29-2004, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: