Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
Thumbs up building custom door panel/audio

i'm about to start my custom door panels for my carrera.
still figuring out the "design" but it will be simple, clean and will look like it belongs
for starters there will be an 8" midbass driver and tweet in the door, there will be a 5.25 on the floor firing up in front of the seat in it's own enclosure.

opinions welcome.......you're all going to like the underhood plan too....well those who enjoy audio anyway

also pics of my new heated garage, not too wide but it's heated, and in ohio right now it's heaven
this will be cleaned up

i just bought some 4ft florescents, the one hanging is secure and WON'T fall on 911.....just temporary.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Sports Purpose 911 Driver

cool, good luck and check for the PM I sent you.

James
1955 356 Pre A Coupe Emory build in waiting
1957 356A Emory speedster build in progress
Old 01-29-2004, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

somewhere on the net is a pic of a guy's 911 speakers with tubes added to the back. No opinion, as I have not seen either test data or calculated theoretical output, but it is worth thinking about, worth figuring up, and maybe worth a prototype. He thought it took care of the problem of having a large volume in the door and of the flex in the door. It's unclear whether he thought he was doing an acoustic susp. or a ported system....

But it got me to thinking....
Old 01-30-2004, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Bell,
I've been experimenting myself for the last 2 years. I've got over $2k in audio but I've never been completely satisfyed with the sound. I built a rear deck to accomidate the 6x9's, I've got 5.5's in the doors and a 10" sub. The sub sounds great when placed in back between the two front seats but is always in the way. I've placed it in the smugglers box but never really got the punch I was looking for. Also I never really got the sound from the door speakers. What I just did is put Dynamat on the doors which made an incredible differance. I'm now going to line the smugglers box with Dynamat which should make a differance also. I have external cross overs for my 5.5's which gives me the ability to mount my tweeters separtately from the speaker. I did have them up on the dash but because I wasn't getting the sound from the door it didn't work. Maybe now it will.
Tom
Ferdinand Porsche
Old 01-31-2004, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
my new setup is going to consist of the following......
pioneer kex-m900 (old school cassette, but brand new and "era" correct )
pioneer m-6 disc changer
audio control line driver
audio control eql
JL audio 500/0 5 channel amp
mb quart 5.25" components
mb quart 8"
JL 10w3

the 8's are going to handle most of the bass, the single 10 will hand the lower octaves, and i don't run rear speakers.
too keep a smooth and more tunable freq. curve i won't be using any ported enclosures, this will also handle more power so i can hear the damn thing over my exhaust on the highway with the top off
sunday i'm removing my seats and pulling the carpet, then some scraping, por-15 and maybe some dynamat.
i've also decide to stray away from my bright ass red interior and go all black........add some mechanical work to do and it's crunch time to get this done before hershey
Old 01-31-2004, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you can find them, you might want to check out a pair of Dynaudio 17W-LQ Esotec drivers (around 7"). Increadible sound, and very small (sealed) enclosure requirements. The Dynaudio D260 high-freq. drivers are a perfect match to these as well. Are you planning on retaining the stock map pockets and door pulls?
Old 01-31-2004, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

one of gods prototypes

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Coffey
Are you planning on retaining the stock map pockets and door pulls?
no.....the only part of the stock door trim i'm utilizing it the top leather covered trim, the switches and the lock knob.
i'm fabricating everything else from scratch.
i'm pretty set as to my equipment, i know their capabilities so i'm using them
the quart 8's i have require a decent amount of airspace, which is why they'll work well in the door once i get it more solid.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: