Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
mackpipes

Question Cam recommendations

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my '85 3.2 euro and am considering a hotter cam.
The upgrades to the engine I've planned are:
CE valve springs
Ti retainers
Raceware head studs and hardware
Raceware rod bolts

This is just the list of upgrades. All bearings and hardware are being replaced as well.
The cars is a double duty car (DE and dialy driver). I'm looking for a bit more top end (passing power) but don't want to sacrifice what the stock cam gave me down low. Should I stay with the stock cam or is there a good cam fro a euro 3.2? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-30-2004, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The limiting factor for cam upgrades on your engine will be the Motronic induction system which just does not like the strong intake pulses that high lift/long duration cams will cause.

The usual cam rec w/ 3.2 Motronic is a 964 grind or Webcam 20/21. Elgin likely has an equally good selection.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
I'm in the middle of rebuilding my '85 3.2 euro and am considering a hotter cam.
Please don't encourage Ted. He's a menace to all the helpless residents of NoVA. Women and children flee as he approaches. Grown men stare apprehensively at their rear view mirrors, praying that his black Carrera won't appear. He doesn't need more power...he needs restraint! Please, I implore you, suggest only milder cams, or maybe no cams. Think of the innocent lives you'll save!
Old 01-30-2004, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Bill's right - you can still only go with a mild camshaft because of plenum setup. Perhaps Steve Weiner can weigh in on this one, but I don't think that changing the camshaft is a good idea without changing the chip to match. I don't think you'll gain much, and you may experience unsolvable problems (since the Motronic system is unadjustable). Most experts recommend leaving the long block pretty much alone unless you can change out the fuel injection system for a programmable engine management system.

That said, the 964 cams are pretty mild and are also "Motronic" cams. I'm sure they will work fine, but I'm not sure you'll be able to tell much of a difference.

-Wayne
Old 01-30-2004, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
mackpipes

Jim,
Still having flashbacks of turn one at Summit Point?
Old 01-30-2004, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Yep

edit: Ted, post on the Engine Rebuilding Forum, too. This is the kind of question that typically surfaces there. Any plans for a chip? Some of the NoVA guys can talk to you about Steve W's chip.

Last edited by Jim Richards; 01-30-2004 at 09:48 AM..
Old 01-30-2004, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

mackpipes

Bill, Wayne,
Thanks for the input. I think I'll stay with stock. Much to the delight of Jim I'm sure!
Wayne, great job on the books.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
mackpipes

Jim,
I do plan on trying the Steve Wong chip. The Autothority chip I'm running makes me run WAY rich.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

I went thru this same thought process on my 3.2 rebuild and concluded any of the cams I would switch out with stock would either result in no noticable improvement or not be compatible with the intake and DME. I decided to stick with the stock cams.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ted, I had the Webcam 20/21 grind in my Carrera with the Autothority chip. You may recall my engine had very low and lumpy idle and ran pretty rich. After a lot of investigative work and about $1000, my last idea was to put the stock chip back in there. Car immediately came back to life and was totally awesome. Cams did not really make themselves felt until about 4500 rpms, but they gave a nice pull then. To this day, I'm not positive if the chip I removed was really from Autothority, as there was no label on it. Someday, I may just go over there for the hell of it and have them take a look at that chip to verify that it's real or bogus. If you go with new cams, I'd budget for a dyno run at Autothority and have them map out a custom chip for you.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Ted:

Talk to Bill W about the cams Pitstop put in his rebuild . . . you know Bill the White Carrera that lead you out of Oaktree . . . . I guess that's what you need the "passing power" for.
https://picasaweb.google.com/102059909841735131107
http://www.youtube.com/user/958Fan#p/u
Old 01-30-2004, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
mackpipes

Marc,
A rebuild every season just isn't in the budget. I can't keep killing my car just to pass you guys.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
DOH
https://picasaweb.google.com/102059909841735131107
http://www.youtube.com/user/958Fan#p/u
Old 01-31-2004, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Just curious Ted but why the Raceware studs? From what I've read I thought they were mainly for dedicated track cars and were considered overkill for anything else.

BTW, we haven't had the pleasure yet of being on the track together
Old 01-31-2004, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
mackpipes

Doug,
Haven't you seen my muffler! I'm all about overkill.
Seriously, I'm just trying to make it as stout as possible.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug E
BTW, we haven't had the pleasure yet of being on the track together
Once you do you'll never forget it!

Old 02-02-2004, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: