Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

H-4 rubber adjuster doodad?

Does anybody know if it's possible to replace just the littler rubber/metal adjustment piece without buying a complete headlight assembly? I've been hunting around at Porsche shops to try and find one of these for a while, and I'm feeling pretty SOL right now. Hope the pics help -- it's not the screw, or the dish, but rather the thing that connects the dish to the adjusting screw.

TIA,

Dan

Old 01-30-2004, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Toxic

Garage
hosed

Try some rubber hose or vacuum tubing, worked for me.
The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollar$.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

How did you refabricate the little metal piece? It occurs to me that just punching a hole in a piece of rubber tubing to run the screw through might do the job. Thanks for the help, this one has been haunting me for a month...

Dan
Old 01-30-2004, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Toxic

Garage
rubber thingy

Dan,
All I though you need was the rubber, sorry.
To make the little metal thingy I would shape, sand or gride one out some 1/8" or 1/16" mild steel. Drill a hole and tap new threads.

If I knew the threads and a outline of the thingy, I would make one for you.

Next time I have one of mine out, I try making one or two? for ya.

Are the thread one yours stripped?
The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollar$.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The whole thing is missing. Opened them up to clean them out and look for rust, then rapidly figured out why one headlight never seems to keep adjustment correctly. Reminder to always have a PPI done, or to at least look inside the headlights before you get the car. On the bright side, there's no rust in there.
The other side still has the little metal piece, I can do a tracing off that, then hunt down someone with a bigger set of tools than mine. Perhaps I could find a similarly size nut at the local hardware store, then glue it into an appropriately sized chunk of rubber hose?
Hmmm ... I are nukuler engginneer, I bet I can fabricate _something_. Thanks again for the help,

Dan
Old 01-30-2004, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ok, I think I've found a solution. 2 rolls of clear plastic tubing from the "plumbing and kitchen repair" section ($1.99 each) and a pair of 4mm nuts. The outer size is about 3/8". The second roll of tubing is one size smaller (1/4"), and fits neatly inside the 3/8" tubing to add some stiffness to the whole thing. Rubber cement the nut in the top, and you're home free. BTW, if anybody needs one of these, I now have enough tubing to make approximately 400 of them. Nuts are $.12/ea at your local hardware store. Too easy. Thanks again for all the help,

Dan
Old 01-31-2004, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to UTKarmann_Ghia
You may want to take a pic to show the rest of us what in the world you're talking about!
Old 01-31-2004, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'd love to take a pic, but I don't have a digital camera. It looks just like the part I circled in the above pictures, except with clear plastic tubing instead of the black rubber, and a 4mm nut instead of the little brass thing.

Dan

Old 01-31-2004, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: