Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Pulley Problems

I was hearing a rattling noise coming from my 3.0L motor. Itís been sounding horrible lately so I listen to see where itís coming from, turns out the noise was near the alternator and fan area. I take the fan pulley off only to discover a disaster. My fan pulley was toast. A couple shattered shims immediately fell and the rest of the 3 or 4 shims were split. I removed the fan and inspected it. The fan hub that the fan pulley holds on to had grooves in it. This caused the pulley to shake resulting in the shattered shims and the chewed up pulley. As a last resort, I took the fan to a local shop that did some grinding and welding to the hub. I also installed a new fan belt, fan pulley, six new shims and $170 later my motor actually sounds right!

Anyone know what may have caused the uneven wear on my fan hub?

Last edited by Par911; 01-30-2004 at 11:29 AM..
Old 01-30-2004, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Autobahn Garage

I'l bet that someone has over tightened the belt. Let me explain,If you tighten the nut down too much time and time again It will flatten out the cuped washer under the nut.Then it will not hold the pulley secure. It will tighen down aganist the sholder on the alternator shaft but not hold the pulley. Check this! You can hammer the center flat if you turn the washer over and rap it a few times. This happened to me on my car, after I found this and fixed it all was well. Best of luck
57, Speedster
Old 01-30-2004, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Tab,

This is usually an installation problem but can be from prior wear.

On installing the outer pulley half, the shims can get off-center and be pinched by the outer pulley half. That prevents the pulley from seating squarely and, even if the nut is tight, the pulley will wobble and finally fail as you see it.

First, the parts need to be in ďlike newĒ condition where there isnít any wear on the fan hub, outer pulley half, or the shims.

Next, assembly should pull the pulley together tight and not have any run-out. Try it without the belt. Assemble it first with too many shims and the belt is loose. Then progressively remove shims to the proper belt tension.

When you think you are complete, measure the run-out of the outer pulley half.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 01-30-2004, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Autobahn Garage

Yeah what he said! LOL Thanks Grady
57, Speedster
Old 01-30-2004, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Pari,
I have a spare pully half that will get you going.
Why?
The same thing (Not so bad) happen to me last year.
What does the hub on the fan look like?

It's supposed to be a circle with two flat spots opposite each other.
Look up the part on PP and you will see a picture.

Mine got that way because I didn't keep all the washers on. I think there are 5-6 but you need them all whether there on one side of the pully or the other. The rounded cap washer cannot get tight enough without them all.

The flat spots on my hub were rounded a little. Matt DeMaria was able to weld some metal back on the hub and ground the flat spots back.
Not new, but almost. He also did a temporary weld on my outer pully half so that's why I have it.

There are different pully halfs mine had the extra pully for the air pump because it's a Euro car. I bought the one like yours because it's much easier to get on and off.

Call my cell if you want me to show you.
I'm leaving in a few minutes.
I'll pm my number in a minute.
83 ROW CAB Rubinrot Metallic (RIP)
Old 01-30-2004, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Nevermind on calling me. I read it again and see you have it fixed.
Doh!
Anyway you have to keep all 6 shims. Save your old ones in case you lose one.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Grady and Tab, thank you both for your feedback on why this problem occurred. It makes much more sense to me now. Come to think of it, I remember seeing a couple shims off centered before I first removed the old pulley.
Bill, even though the problem was fixed, I may still need your help putting a shim back in place. As you can see in the pic below, one of the shims is off-center. It's odd because when I was tightening the nut I made sure that all six shims were centered.

I currently have 3 shims on the inside and 3 on the outside of the fan pulley. I appreciate all the help.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Pari, call me when you get the chance if you still need help.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Bill thanks for your help. I took care of the off-centered shim after finally finding a "22 mm socket at Lowes. So far so good, but I will let you know if any other problems develop.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Taking another look at your picture, It looks like you have the double pully. If you get the outer half for the single pulley like a later 81-83 SC it's a whole lot easier to deal with the shims.
Do you have the socket / lug wrench in your tool kit?
Old 02-02-2004, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Bill, yup I have a socket/lug wrench in my tool kit and a pulley tool. I just wanted to use my torque wrench to set the nut to the correct torque spec 29.5 ft-lbs. Hope to see your cab out this Saturday.

Last edited by Par911; 02-03-2004 at 01:24 PM..
Old 02-03-2004, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Sorry I wasn't arround this weekend I have a socket that would work.
Glad it's fixed!
I know about the meeting. Now that it's getting closer I can see if I can get away.

Old 02-03-2004, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: