Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sports Car Market's "Collecting Porsche"

I got this in the mail today and it's a bit of a disappointment. I was expecting some new content and instead it's a compilation of older articles from SCM, with just an introduction by Martin himself. While there's a picture of Martin next to a 356, fact is the guy is an Italian car fan and doesn't know much about Porsches. Most of the book was actually written by Jim Schrager, SCM's Porsche editor.

In addition, the majority of the Porsches profiled are air-cooled (356s and 911s). The book seems on much less solid ground discussing water-cooled cars, from the 944 and 928 on up to Boxsters and 996s, and these models get much less detail written about them. From what I've read of his work, the air-cooled Porsches are Schrager's forte and preference, so maybe that's to be expected. The front-engined water-cooled cars really need a strong advocate. Wish they'd found someone else to write about these

Because the articles are old, some of the information is out of date regarding the Porsche market, but I was interested in some of the work done tracking price trends over the years the magazine has been in print.

If you've got a collection of old SCM's lying around, you're better off with those and needn't bother with the book. Otherwise, I'd say that it's value reference and entertainment value pales in comparison to Wayne's MBI books. They've been playing up Seinfeld's blurb on the book, but as a Porsche nut and an SCM subscriber, I doubt the book told him anything he didn't already know.

My $19.95 + 2 cents,
Emanuel

Old 01-30-2004, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Aren't there any P-car loving celebs other than Seinfeld???? Am I the only one getting tired of him being presented as an "expert" on the Marque?
This is NOT a personal attack on the man...rather, an attack on the P-car media that treats him as an authoritative source. In reality, I suspect he's merely a gear head like most of us are...other than that he has a LOT more money...
Old 01-30-2004, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Used User

Paul Newman has had Porsches since before Seinfeld was born. But you knew that.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by pwd72s
Aren't there any P-car loving celebs other than Seinfeld???? Am I the only one getting tired of him being presented as an "expert" on the Marque?
I think the field is Seinfeld and Jack Olsen, and Seinfeld is a bit more famous (and I think he might be able to give Jack a run for his money in the writing department as well)

And even Seinfeld isn't that famous a Porsche fan; I've yet to meet someone that isn't a Porsche owner that knows he collects them.

Emanuel
Old 01-30-2004, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Give copies to we poor slobs... make the rich guy pay!
Old 01-31-2004, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
Quote:
Originally posted by exc911ence
Give copies to we poor slobs... make the rich guy pay!
Ha Ha...I least Wayne signed mine, or is the sig a fake?
2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 01-31-2004, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
awesome...thanks Wayne, the only problem is I have grease all over it from the last engine drop...but considering it was my first the book did it's job. Thanks.
2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 02-01-2004, 12:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
What?

Garage
I forgot I ordered the book. I guess it will be here in a few days. Emanuel, thanks for the .02 and the reminder the book was coming.

CaymanS
SCWDP / GruppeB
Old 02-01-2004, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: