Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

77 with rebuilt 2.7

hi all,
I'm considering a '77 with a rebuilt motor 20k ago. Upgraded head studs were supposedly used and a tensioner upgrade as well. I've read about all the problems of the 2.7 with TR and head studs issues. What do you think about this rebuilt motor?
Also, if I do a PPI, will the mechanic be able to visually confirm the upgraded head studs?
Anyway, this car was on eBay 2 days ago, it's in Pismo Beach, CA.
Anyone knows or saw this car, please let me know.
Thanks.
John

Old 01-30-2004, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

John,
Does the owner have documentation on the rebuild? I have fresh 2.7 and I think it can be a wonderful source of power IF all the issues are sorted out and the rebuild was properly done. If a person doesn't have good documentation then I'd be hesitant to trust them.
On the studs, it's less important that the studs were upgraded than it is to have the case time-certed or case-savered. A shop doing a PPI should be able to tell by looking at the engine if that was done. If you simply replace the studs, they are still in the soft magnesium case and can still pull. If the case-savers or timecerts are installed, it is much harder to pull a stud (case-savers being harder to pull than time-certs).

If you really want to know the details of what to look out for, I'd reccomend reading Wayne's rebuild book. He talks in depth about the issues with the 2.7s and how they should properly be dealt with.

Tensioner upgrade is good also and may show the person rebuilding it wanted to do it right the first time
Old 01-31-2004, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Pat I am not sure you can tell case savers etc. from PPI? they are buried pretty deep... No reciept on that I would walk unless it very cheap.
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My thinking was that if you get under the car and can see where the lower row of studs go into the case, you should be able to see if they screw into the factory formed case or if there is a lip there that would indicate timecert or casesaver. Then again I guess it could mean helicoil which wouldn't be that good either...
Not exactly sure what case-savers look like but here is my timecerts.

I tried to get under mine to take a pic but can't since my front end is up in the air right now (working on front suspension...)
Here are the pics from my rebuild though

Before Timecert install:

After Timecerts:

Old 01-31-2004, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: