Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
2 oil leak questions

First-
I thought this was leaking from a bad crush washer but it appears to be leaking from the insert. I didn't know there was an insert but apparently there is. You can see how dark it is around the outside, it's been leaking for a while. Is there any hope to fixing that one without replacing anything? How do I get to the insert and what do you use to seal it?

The tranny selector rod should have a boot shouldn't it? Can you see where the oil is coming from in the pic? It looks like it's coming from the rod. Could the fact that there is no boot have led to this leak? What is the solution for that mess and how critical is it needing immediate attention? UGGggggg! I just want to drive it again!

Old 01-31-2004, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The "insert" is actually part of the chain tensioner that sticks through the cover. An o-ring on the tensioner is supposed to keep oil from leaking in that spot. Are you sure it's not oil from when the oil line was removed?

Yes, you are missing the boot that covers the shift rod. Check under the access cover on the "hump" in front of the rear seats - maybe it is still in there. I can't see the leak you are talking about but the shifter seal is replacable with the transmission in the car I've heard. I'd rather do it with the transmission out and the end cover removed.
-Chris
Old 01-31-2004, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yo Mikey,

I had to replace that shifter seal once before because it was dripping. I guess it is possible that the absence of the boot could cause premature failure, but I'm not sure. I'd have someone drive the car around while you use a flashlight and look down under the coupler cover and see how bad it is leaking.

As for the cam chain housing cover... I

I'm pretty sue if that is the tensoiner seal there in the picture, and it is not leaking from the banjo fitting, then it is probably the O-ring that seals the tensioner to the housing.
Give me a call if you have any questions.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Yea. I took the oil line off for the third time bofore I took the picture. There is no hope for fixing that one without taking the chain tentioner off huh? Here is another pic of the tranny
Crap! I can't upload! Well, it's leaking from right where you would think it was leaking. I just bought a gallon of swepco. I guess I'm going to put it in. I have no idea how low it is but there seems to have been quite a little Valdez going on from the mess I cleaned off of the support. Damn tranny has less than 15,000 miles on it!
Old 01-31-2004, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Lee, You remove the tranny to do it?
Old 01-31-2004, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
How hard is it to get to that o ring? I have the bumper and muffler off so I think it's something I need to handle now. The tranny leak is no more or less accessible now or later but the o ring is leaking an awful lot. It's strange cause it never left a puddle before and now after the car has been up on jacks for a month it's leaking.
If I don't drain the oil how much will come out of the right tentioner? And will everything stay in place when I take the cover off?
Does pelican sell the o ring?
Old 01-31-2004, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

whoa whoa whoa... you don't have to remove the tensioner.
It should be an easy job.
Just take off the housing cover and you can just replace the o-ring.

Repeat... do not remove the actual tensioner... just the cover.

I wish you had a Verison phone... we could call each other for free!

Remove the tunnel cover and look down there and check if you can see if the seal is still in place correctly.

I replaced the old one without removing the trans.
I just removed the coupler, used some surgical picks to remove the old seal, and placed the new one on there with a mallet and a socket thge same diameter as the seal.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
lol! I didn't mean actually remove the tentioner. Yea... that's what I meant. Cool, so Will I loose a quart of oil? Or a cup? Should I drain the motor first or can I get away without?
The car is up on jacks so I'm not really into getting in there till I get the wheels back on. But the tentioner cover is very accessible at the moment.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

It depends on the attitude of the car.
Is it up on all fours or just the rears?

The best way would be to jack up the right side only to shift most of the oil to the other bank.

Some will come out, and you should have a rag or two handy, but I don't think it'll be all that much.

I've got problems of my own at the moment and am just warming up my typing fingers!

Best of luck, Mike!
Old 01-31-2004, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Its level. , Thanks Lee, I can't find the part on pelican anyway. I can't do much without the ring so it will have to wait.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
the shift shaft seal is cake. read the tech article, i did it just like that. tranny in the car!

Old 01-31-2004, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: