Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.6 Converts - Which came first 3.6 or suspension and brakes

For those who have done the 3.6 coversion. Did you do your suspension and brake upgrades

1) Before the 3.6 install

2) All at once

3) Stayed with Stock Suspension (basically) and stock brakes with plans to maybe upgrade later.

I'm still looking hard at the 3.6 conversion, although when I do the math I wonder if I'm not better off simply buying a later 964 for less money. That's another topic...anyway

As I work on the budget it's clear I can't do it all in one shot.

With a budget of $11,000 and the proceeds from the sale of my 3.0 I'm left with roughly $2K for suspension / safety or brakes.

I'd like to do Torsion bars, maybe sways, roll bar, Bump steer tie rod ends, and the 930 brake upgrade or something similar. These will run $5-6K in total.

The current car while stock for the most part has been completely refreshed over the past 3 years. New bushings, rotors, shocks brake lines, tranny rebuilt, CVs, etc.

So which came first

Jeff

Old 02-01-2004, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Jeff,

A lot depends on how you plan to use your car. For me it went like this:

1. - 22mm F and 29mm R torsion bars, Neatrix bushings, Koni Sport adjustable shocks, lower, corner balance, and align. Did these in one shot about 1 year before I even thought about an engine swap. Huge bang for the buck. Did about 8 DE's and a few autocrosses before I decided life wouldn't be good without a 3.6.

2. - 3.6 swap completed last fall (about 1.5 years after buying the car).

3. - 930 brake upgrade was done over the holidays. This was part of the engine swap budget because of planned DE's in the spring.

If you don't plan to track your car any time soon, the brakes can wait. If your suspension is worn out, it's a no brainer....if it's in good condition, its your call, but having all that juice is much sweeter with a dialed in suspension, even on the street.
89 Carrera 3.6 V-ram #94
Livin' for Targa time!

Want to make God laugh?
Tell him your plans!

Last edited by Mike Feinstein; 02-01-2004 at 07:28 AM..
Old 02-01-2004, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
I think it all depends on your current suspension and how you will use the car. I have had the 3.6 in for 1 year now and it's worked ok...but I have to take it easy where other guys are able to push harder! It's always a good idea to upgrade...just do it when you can.
2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 02-01-2004, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

As all stated do what you can when you can. However, you may want to consider this: If you have the power you'll want to use it. You 'll need some way to be able to stop and control what you have. Personally, I did suspension, then brakes, then the 3.6 conversion. But that's me.
Good luck, you'll enjoy whatever you do decide.

Old 02-01-2004, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: