Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Minor oil leak question

My car 1977 911S:

Just had my oil changed about three weeks ago, and since then, I've noticed a small oil leak in a new place... not really under the engine or valve covers, but from what appears to be a plug(?) with a small washer/seal... that looks like it's directly under, or part of the oil tank. In other words, just behind, and in line with the rear passenger (US/Canadian car) side tire.

Assuming this is where the leak is coming from... what is this plug/screw/seal (or whatever)?

Thanks,

-MAS

Old 02-01-2004, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think it sounds like you are talking about the oil tank drain plug .If oil is "hanging" off the plug the seal washer may be damaged or the plug may not be snug.If the oil was just changed by a shop take it back if you think you have a leak.It's a simple fix unless they crossthreaded the plug.
1964 Corvair Spyder Turbo gone
2012 Boss 302
Old 02-01-2004, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yep, that would be your oil tank drain plug. Before taking it back, you might get a wrench on it to make sure it is not just loose.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
17 years and 17k posts...

Garage
They may have reused the washer on the oil tank drain plug. I use a new crush washer every thime I change the oil and mine has never leaked. Maybe that's all they need to do....

www.ford.com
Old 02-01-2004, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: