Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rear Torsion Bar Tube Replacement

Has anyone ever replaced the entire rear torsion bar tube on a early 911?

The rear torsion bars in my '69 911S hotrod are stuck and will not come out. Seriously.... they WILL NOT. See here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/146518-stuck-rear-torsion-bars-post1148112.html#post1148112

So.....

The only choice I see is to have the entire rear torsion bar tube cut out and a new one welded in place. The obvious questions:

1. Where you can you buy a replacement full torsion tube?
2. Does anyone know a shop in Atlanta with the proper factory jigs to ensure the new torsion tube is properly installed. Im guessing that alignment is going to be pretty dang critical. I have a welder.... but it would seem that if the tube is not absolutely perfectly aligned, the entire rear suspension will be a mess.
3. Any idea how much getting this tube replaced should cost?

Would I be better off attempting to find another chassis completely? I would almost rather just part this car out and be done with early 911s totally before doing that. I just spent 5 months totally restoring the entire front of the car and stripping / prepping the interior. The front suspension is totally new and looks brand new. Now I get this crap.....

Anyhow, Im not even sure if torsion tubes are available new? Having a used one cut out of a parts car would seem likely to result in just more problems.

Terry (seriously bummed out)

Old 02-01-2004, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Used User

Coil-over suspension time?
Old 02-01-2004, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would take the car to a shop to let them have a go at removing the bars, before taking it in to a shop to chop up the chassis. Sometimes its helpful to get a new pair of eyes & hands on it.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

This is a major issue...the tube must be absolutely square on the chassis..and its weldment must also support the weight of the car....both not trivial matters.
---Wil Ferch
Old 02-01-2004, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Used User

OK, here's another more practical idea. I fyou have an oxy/acetylene torch, why not heat the exposed end until it turns cheery red and wait a minute or two for the heat to transfer inward. I know, heat makes things expand, but it also get the metal all excited and the PB Blaster you sprayed in there might penetrate better. Sometimes a couple of cycles along with your previous methods will jar it loose.

Everyone here wants to see you win this battle.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

zeke.... a huge comealong yanking on the end of the torsion bar so hard I thought it was going to rip the antiroll bar mount on the other end of the chassis out from the chain securing the car from being yanked off the jack stands. I applied THOUSANDS of pounds of pressure to the t-bar. I cannot fathom that t-bar ever coming out, unless it brings chunks of bodywork with it. Better to cut the body parts out than have them be ripped out destroying stuff on the way.

I thought about the heating idea. I could try it after I drop the engine/trans and remove the bananna arms (both of which I am doing next). I may set it back up with the comealong and try torqueing it again after heating the tube beet red..... but even then Im not sure its possible to get enough heat to the actual spline area deep within the tube to make any difference.

Any Atlanta guys know of a Porsche body shop capable of handling a torsion tube replacement job?

I thought of just going to rear coil overs..... problem is I have already purchased all the suspension parts. Also, that would mean leaving the torsion bars in place but cutting the end off.... I just couldnt live with such a crappy job on building this thing.

How is this for one last idea: I rig a chain up between the end of one torsion bar and a tree. Then I put a chain on the other torsion bar and attack the end to the frame under the back of my truck. With the engine/trans out of the car, I put it on jack stands and put the floor jack under it. Then, with some slack in the chain..... I put the truck in first gear, rev to 4000rpm and dump the clutch..... WHANG! I figure it would either yank the t-bar out, yank out the t-bar tube/destroy the chassis or break the chain. Fun either way. Would make a good video.

Terry

Old 02-01-2004, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: