Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Atlanta area 911 electrical exp needed

Just bought my 85 and have noticed some odd things in the wiring. I would rather consult with some good knowledgable P-car DIY's before taking it somewhere for time consuming diagnostics and repair. I have no problem doing the repair.

I was reading some of the old records and the previous owner had a shop install a bypass starter relay, due to intermittent starting. They cut the yellow lead from the starter and spliced in at the back and again up front(same yellow lead). Put in a used ign. sw.

Not to familiar with positive to ground systems and the most effective way of checking. Mechanicals are no problem. (just did all the shifter bush changes sat morn) and just pondered, did some minor checking of switches and what not.

Current situation: Interior,Luggage, engine comp lights don't work. Power stays on to the windows without the key. Suspect this relay for these?? Would like to fix back as orginal and take that m**** relay out and re-splice normal. I also posted something about the o2 sensor being broke off in the engine compartment at the insulator/mt brkt.

Battery will drain if not ran for 3 days.

I would definite like to meet some other people in this area that enjoy doing there own work. Exchange some thoughts and help others as needed.

I am actually in the newnan area. Maybe we can work something out. Thanks.

"Drive the Ride"
Old 02-01-2004, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Garage
I'm no expert, but I've always done all of the electrical on my cars, and to date they're still running!

Not sure what you mean by positive ground, but the interior lights are straight from battery through panel #1 fuse #1, no relay involved. Door locks run through #2 relay (which may be bad in your case, and could be a cause of drain?) through panel #3 fuse #1. Engine compartment light will not work unless headlights are turned on.

Also as far as the drain, is there any aftermarket equipment installed? Anything like stereo equipment/amp, alarm system, radar detector, etc.? If these are not installed (or functioning) properly, they can drain your system pretty quickly.

I would suggest getting a service manual that has the detailed electrical diagram. It would be difficult to get very far without it. Having the wiring color codes and connector locations really helps when tracing out circuits. (Bentley or even Haynes)

Good luck!
'02 Ducati Monster 900ie
Old 02-01-2004, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have an older haynes manual that had the basic electric diagrams I have been reading them and that defintely helps. Completley stock, I even took the radio out that was in it.
My main concern mostly is the starter wiring and o2 mess. The positve ground thing I mention is that you can disconnect the battery and still have continuity between the pos & neg terminals. (strange, but maybe a resistance thing)

"Drive the Ride"
Old 02-01-2004, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

when you said that you disconnect the battery, you still have continuity between + and -(ground) or a slight resistance ???? Opposed to shorted which means that you have a direct contact between + and -(ground).
Placed a amp meter in serie when you connect the battery to see how much current you are drawing !!!! If you had a short between + and -, believe me, you'll notice right away(sparks, fuses melting, melting wires and so on). don't be fooled be continuity test because many components in circuit act as they have a resitance close to zero but when you apply courant, they act differently. When you say, splice at the starter ??? At the starter solenoid, the starter motor windind, both ?????
Do you have electrical schematic diagram ??? Very useful when fixing those kinds of problems !!!!
Let me know. Truly, Phil.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: