Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Line Brackets

Those of you who have removed your rocker covers, and who have front oil coolers, how did you deal with the oil line brackets under the rocker covers? The same bolts that hold the covers on also hold the "W"-shaped metal brackets and rubber gaskets underneath, against the oil lines. The bolts are too long. The plastic spacers are necessary, and they look silly sticking out.

Old 02-01-2004, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Jim? What gives?
Are you trying to lose weight by removing the rocker panels?
If that's the case than I suggest you first try to drill a bunch of holes in your door handles. See if that gives you the reduction you want.

As for the brackets. ...hmm I dunno. But many people have done it before. I've just never looked close enough to see exactly how.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Leland, I kinda like the no-rocker-cover look, although the heavy-looking front and rear ends of my car don't match the look well. Still, I'm old fashioned enough to believe that cars should be shaped more like bullets than bricks. I accept that bricks have been determined to be more aerodynamic, with splitters and air dams and rocker covers that scrape the ground. But I like the "fuselage" look better.

And yes, Leland, I've known since I bought this car four years ago that it's on a journey to becoming a track car. Very slowly, but inexorably. Those bumper pads are coming off too, next time I have the exhaust off.

Good idea on the door handle thing.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
i was just there.

i am in the same area, only my rocker panel is rusted to crap. i havent purchased another one, so i will have the minimalist look going for awhile. i went to OSH hardware store with one of my original ones and just got some at varying lengths. they didnt have metric ones, but the standard pan head screw went in without a hitch. btw, my original ones were screws, yours?

cliff.
p.s. i got stainless ones.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yep, screws. Like real serious sheet metal screws. 10mm head.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I do believe the same screw type in a shorter length is available as a Porsche OEM part. When I return home I'll look up the part number. Cheers, Jim
Old 02-02-2004, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks, Jim. I would prefer to use the same type of screw. That way, the female threads don't get chewed up.

Also, I have a question. The small holes near the top of where the rocker cover used to be....where do those holes go? I should probably plug them, but for now they're not plugged, and it rains here quite a bit. Does this mean water is getting into my "side tunnels?"
Old 02-02-2004, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

There are two screw lengths of this size available:
BZ6.3 x 32 mm long; PN 900.187.032.02
and BZ6.3 x 19 mm long; PN 900.187.010.02
The part number of the 7.4 mm diameter washers that go under the heads of these screws is 900.151.007.02
Pelican lists the above items (all special order) for $1.00 each.

There used to be available, a 25 mm long version of this screw (900.187.031.02), as an OEM part but it has been superceded to the 32 mm length listed above.

The small holes left from the small sheet metal screws that mounted the top of the rocker deco trim do provide entrance for moisture and road chemicals into a portion of the interior of your "side tunnels". I would seal them up with a body seam filler compound or other automotive sealing material.

Cheers, Jim
Old 02-03-2004, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The rocker area is a primo rust area. Find some stainless steel screws. I would even go so far as to seal the screw holes with silicone or equivalent.

Sherwood
Old 02-03-2004, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Gasoline User

Garage
I'll add to the excellent info Jim posted that the B6.3 x 25 mm version of this tapping screw (900.187.031.02), is still available. I know it has been superceded to the 32mm one but I recently got some of the 25mm ones through a dealer using the original 031.02 p/n. The 32mm ones are used on the right side rocker to accomodate the oil line brackets and the 25mm ones are used on the left side rocker.

2013 Cayenne GTS Schwarz
2019 911 GT3 RS Schwarz
Old 02-03-2004, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: