Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

More of that @#$# tar

I pulled off the driver-side door today so I could address a broken door-stay area, and decided to pull the RS panel to have a look. A couple of surprises lurked -

-One of the 3 POs cut out the speaker area and welded in a plate that could accept a 6x9" speaker. The cut edges were not rustproofed, so there is some surface rot. But the RS panels have 5" speakers installed, so they're not even using the space that this "mod" freed up! I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this, but I don't like it.

-The door skin had what looks like a factory-installed tar sheet for sound deadening. I though I'd gotten rid of all this stuff when I stripped the interior and did the POR15 routine. That's 3 more pounds saved per door!

Really, I took it out because I think the tar traps moisture, and I'll probably put some dynamat or equivalent in there as a substitute.

Tar Before:

Tar After (you can see the speaker mod in this shot):

Here is the door stay support...

Last edited by cowtown; 02-01-2004 at 05:04 PM..
Old 02-01-2004, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

So I guess I'm not getting any responses because I forgot to ask the question

Q: What have you all done to your doors to keep the sound levels down? I know of Dynamat, B-Quiet, Lcomp, BrownBread etc. I'm using PeelNSeal on the rear deck area, and it seems fine.

I need some real-world feedback on what you did and how it's working to reduce noise...

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2004, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The door shell should have a piece of asphalt-based material affixed to it. If it fell off, replace it with the equivalent - it's like Dynamat. To reduce any resonance produced by the panel mount area itself, I cut out pieces of Dynamat equiv. material and applied them to the flat areas. Dynamat ads for 911s show an entire piece applied to the door. I don't think it's necessary. Besides, materials of this type are fairly heavy.

Sherwood

Old 02-02-2004, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: