Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Feedback on Rennspeed Motorsports

Has anyone purchased fiberglass parts from Rennspeed Motorsports in Duarte, CA 91010? http://www.rennspd.com/
How is the quality of the parts? Prices look good, I just want to get some feedback before I buy.

Thanks,

JB

Old 02-02-2004, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
I bought a fiberglass hood and 965 front bumper from RM recently. The fit was very good; the hood didn't require much more than sanding down to prep for paint. Jack has a lot of Petere's stuff on his car.

http://66.34.72.138/howto/965-bumper/index.html
Various VWs

Last edited by widebody911; 02-02-2004 at 11:22 AM..
Old 02-02-2004, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

See this thread.

I don't think there is another vendor that's even in their ballpark, price-wise. (The only part I've hear about having any issues is the RS rear bumper, which probably has been corrected by now.) KevinP73, from this board, did the body work and paint on my car, and had nothing but good things to say about their pieces.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Licensed User

I bought a ducktail from Peter that was as nice as any other fiberglass piece I have seen so far. Hes a good guy to deal with and I will not hesitate to deal with him in the future.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have his IROC/RSR front bumper, and his ducktail. For the price I like them a lot.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Certified Pre-Owned

Geez, the guy is a steal compared to a lot of stuff I've seen...
Old 02-02-2004, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The prices listed on that site look pretty darn low... I've been lusting after the Ruf bumper ducktail combo on my car. For some reason, I was unaware of what they offered.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
please tell me that all the GT RACING 73 RSR bumpers/flares ive just bought are somewhere near as good as the rennspeed stuff!

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 02-02-2004, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Schleprock

einreb,

I've got a Ruf 'glass front bumper cap and nerf bar from BW Motorsports that I haven't touched yet. Could save you some shipping/hassle costs if you're interested.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Kevin... you have a PM!

-Bernie
Old 02-02-2004, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

You do want to hear both sides don't you?

The pieces described in the previous posts seem to be made pretty well. However, the FG RS rear bumper I purchased from Rennspeed is as ill-fitting a piece I've ever seen. Moreover, he wasn't very open to assist me. Albeit it was several months after purchase before I could get around for a trial fit before I concluded as much. I'm still thinking, "it doesn't fit now; would it have fit better had I told him right after the purchase?" (no). Fitting this will test my skills (or lack thereof) in fabrication and adaptation.

My conclusio is that you'll probably have better luck if the FG piece doesn't look like an RS rear bumper.

Sherwood
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars
Old 02-02-2004, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I've got a set of flared front and rear fenders for my 914 from Peter
I haven't mounted them on the car yet, but from the test fitting I've done I don't expect much trouble with them.

Quality of the layups looks good too.

Having said that... some guys on 914club.com ordered other stuff from him (bumpers, valances, rocker panels) that needed work before they fit properly

cheers,

Jeroen
Old 02-02-2004, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jriera Send a message via Yahoo to jriera
Agree with Sherwood.. looks like we bought an RS rear bumper each from the same 'batch'... major pain.. and after all does not look 'right'
Old 02-02-2004, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks to everyone for your input. It amazes me sometimes how valuable this forum is for info. Sherwood and Jriera, how long ago did you guys buy your RS rear bumpers?

Thanks again!

JB
Old 02-02-2004, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jriera Send a message via Yahoo to jriera
In my case it was around July 2002 (ancient history probably).

Having said my piece I'm considering Rennspeed for the rear RSR quarter panels for my next project...

JB, let me know if you want to see the part.. we are almost neighbors...
Old 02-02-2004, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yes, maybe the same mold. I purchased mine during the summer of '02 (to the best of my recollection). Bad time to buy perhaps, but purchasing something that fits shouldn't be like a lottery.

It's not the mold. Any FG supplier or business experiences customer satisfaction issues. It was the after-sales experience I wasn't too happy about.

Sherwood
Old 02-02-2004, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

FWIW I recently got a 914 targa top "skin" (race part) from Peter and the service and quality were quite satisfactory.

The only mild surprise is that it did not weigh less. My guess is that might mean the part is resin-rich and/or laid up thicker than it really needed to be? Hard to say at this point. But the geometry and finish were at least as good as my expectations.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 02-02-2004, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
My experiece with a fiberglass (long) hood was pretty poor. The hood was cut short in the corners and I had to add material to make it look right. Very wavy, too. Peter was nice about it, but returning the hood to have it made right was counterproductive (2 hour drive each way).

One other important point: I haven't seen a single RS rear bumper that I would consider "good". Most seem to have been made from molds that have shrunk over time. Expect gaps between the inner edges of your tail light lenses and bumperettes.

You should expect some work with any fiberglass -- even the best, which are IMHO Shaw and Getty. Ask your favorite Porsche body guru for his epxeriences...

2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 02-02-2004, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: