Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

play in shift coupler

I bought what is claimed to be a new shift coupler (on eBay).

It has about a mm of axial play in it -- I can push or pull on it about that much -- maybe a bit less.

There is no rotational play, and the part of the plastic bearings I can see from the side are gray.

Do I have a problem? And does the bearing description make sense for a new unit?

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2004, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think OEM bushings are supposed to have play like that? The Pelican ones are much tighter.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

ditto what ubiquity0 said.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Irrational exuberant

Garage
The 911 ones are oval but I hear 914 ones are round.
-Chris
Old 02-02-2004, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I recently purchased a new shift coupler from Pelican and was
surprised at the amount of play in it. From what I've heard, if
you buy just replacement bushings, (they're different?) they
are supposed to fit tighter into the coupler.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Randy,

The O.E. coupler design must have some axial play to allow for some freedom of misalignment in the horizontal plane (as installed in the car).
Otherwise, if the shifter were not exactly in line with the shift rod from the transmission, the coupler bushings, shift rod and shift tube would have to distort to align the parts.

Regards

Hayden
Old 02-02-2004, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

"misalignment in the horizontal plane"

Eh?? To me axial play means along the axis of the shift lever. It has no play horizontally, if you mean to the left or right when installed. The only pay would be front to back as installed.

Is that what it should have?
Old 02-02-2004, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
OEM has play to eliminate vibration from engine/transaxle.

Replacements do not.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Randy,

If you place the coupler on the bench, view from above as installed in the car, you will see you can deflect the knurled stump to the left or right (freedom in the horizontal plane), this is a function of the slotted holes and the small clearance between the inner sides of the bushes and the knurled stump.
At maximum deflection left or right, you will notice that one end of the cross pin is at the forwards end of the slot and the other end is at the opposing end of the slot.
The slot also allows for some vibration isolation, but not very efficiently. Subsequently the G50 shift mechanism deals with NVH in a more deliberate manner.

Regards

Hayden
Old 02-03-2004, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

OEM has oval holes...for the reasons stated. Many have had good luck with round holes nonetheless.

--Wil Ferch
Old 02-03-2004, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The Stomski coupler uses an aircraft grade universal joint to handle the misalignment without introducing play. It might be the best little upgrade to the 915 shifter around. Really tightens up the shift pattern without introducing any negative characteristics. I really like it.

No association yada yada. YMMV.
'85 Carrera - Sold [sob]
TrackVision
944Cup
The 999 Site
Old 02-03-2004, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Binge User

I was hugely disapointed with the OEM coupler when I tried to install the new bushings & it broke so easily. I wasn't about to waste $80 on a new one. It was worth the extra $120 to upgrade to the Wevo unit.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks folks.

Does the Stomski allow enough movement for a street car? I seem to recall a post some time ago that the aftermarket couplers were too rigid for street cars with regular rubber engine/trans. mounts...?

I only "wasted" $25 on this one so I'm not too concerned.

This little sucker is heavy tho -- 1/2 lb.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have the Stomski on my street car and at the time it was a great addition-still is!. I have sport mounts.
The stomski is great little piece of engineering, so is the wevo. I find it much easier to adjust then stock. The stock one just feels sloppy.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

OK...I've posted this before....no real answers...

I've found out that the excellent Stomski coupling ( @ $192) is actually a part you can buy from Aircraft Spruce and supply for about $60 or so ....but with a collar added.

Can anyone give us dimensions / details of the collar and setscrew, so we can fab this little bit of extra ourselves??

---Wil Ferch
Old 02-03-2004, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
It's amazing how this stuff recurs every few months. One of the previous threads on this topic

Old 02-03-2004, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: