Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Az911
Vintage 911 racers long or swb?

I went to the HSR race this weekend and 95% of the 911s racing were swb cars. I also looked a some VARA pics and saw the samething. In both organizations you can run run lwb cars but most seem not to, anyreason why?

72T RS look
88 911
96 993
Old 02-02-2004, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The swb cars have become quite popular in recent years. Several prominant racers have recently built cars on these chassis. Even back inthe haydays of the '73 RSR there were some swb RSRs trhat were campaigned successfully.

Their advantage is in agility on shorter tracks. At places like Daytona they are not so much fun.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

the swb cars are cheaper to buy and some organizations allow them to compete for the championships in one class while lwb's in another. also most 2 liters were swb- which is supposed to be the class limit for a lot of these series. then again there are some awfully fast "2 liters" out there......
Old 02-02-2004, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
There are some swb that aren't 2 liters anymore either
Old 02-02-2004, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Alter Ego Racing

I have raced both (currently a lwb).

Swb are cheap as the press has killed their value (big plus for race car project). They are a blast to drive if you learn to take advantage of TTO (trailing throttle oversteer - even at Daytona). They are light, not sure if lighter than the lwb though. They come with teh carbs (if an S you already have the webers!)

LWB if you get a 69 S, they have the good stuff already attached to them (S calipers, big valves, large CV joints). No need to buy all of this to install into an swb.

Having driven both, I have no real preference as far as driving goes.

my $0.02
PCA Club Racing Champion
National Vintage Racing Champion
Old 02-02-2004, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

In VARA, LWB must race in CP3, which allows engines up to 2.4L.
A SWB with an engine larger than 2L, must also race CP3.
SWB with a 2L runs in CP.
HSR you are limited to 2L, and can run either SWB or LWB in the Porsche Challenge.
Get something and go racing!! Big VARA race at California Speedway in 2 weeks.
www.plavanracing.com
Old 02-02-2004, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
HSR you are limited to 2L, and can run either SWB or LWB in the Porsche Challenge.
HSR East is the same rule. Class leaders for the very competitive "Klub Sport Challenge" are most often LWB 2.0L and one very fast 914 (Terry Wolters). Although, Ecurie racing, Auto Assoc, 901 Shop and some other similar shops campaign some quick SWB cars. We run a 68 LWB car (ralleye car from factory in late 68 came with LWB) and are usually well below the podium

Recent conversastion between two east coast vintage tuners:

Bill "say Joe, what is the displacement going to be for the 2.0L Class this year"?

Joe " just a little more than last year"?

Historic and Vintage "gentleman's" racing.

Jason

'58 -'76 P-cars
SSPI ~ JScott Racing
Old 02-02-2004, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Az911
A swb 2.0l 911 seems the way to go so you can race both VARA and HSR. Which would work good for me because I want to run the car as much as possible

Anyone know of any race cars for sale?

72T RS look
88 911
96 993
Old 02-03-2004, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
you missed out on MarkP's 68 vintage racer prepared by gary emory.i would start there in your search: http://www.partsobsolete.com/
these guys seem to do everything just about perfect.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Steve:

Any of the shops I mentioned in my earlier post will have either a car for sale or a lead for you to pursue. Fair warning: these shops as well as KMR and others prepare their track cars to a high level so... they are often priced $ accordingly.

Jason

'58 -'76 P-cars
SSPI ~ JScott Racing
Old 02-03-2004, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Alter Ego Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by jase007
Recent conversastion between two east coast vintage tuners:

Bill "say Joe, what is the displacement going to be for the 2.0L Class this year"?

Joe " just a little more than last year"?

Historic and Vintage "gentleman's" racing.

Jason
Ain't this true. I saw it happen. I used to race an Ecurie engined car which was ridiculously fast. I then had a chance to try a car built by another shop and man was I surprised at how hard that 2-liter pulled. Several beers later the builder told me that it was a long stroke 2.2.........

My car is an honest 1991cc, I guess I'll have to work harder than others.

One thing to consider, the 2 liter class on HSR somethimes seems more of a race of cubic dollars instead of cubic displacement
PCA Club Racing Champion
Old 02-03-2004, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Two racers having a conversation.

Ferry: "That guy is cheating."
Ernst: "How do you know he is cheating."
Ferry: "Because I'M cheating, and he's faster than me."

I gotta tell you guys, I would love to race with HSR and other groups, but the whole horsepower war worries me.

Does anybody have a contact at the 901 shop? They did a nice job with Juan's stuff, I'd like to talk to them.
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 02-03-2004, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Alter Ego Racing

John,

Call Jack (father) or Brady (son) Refenning. They might not remember my name but, if you want to refer to me, tell them I'm the owner of the bright yellow 69 S brought in by Gulf Performance.

Anyhow, their details are:
901 Shop
3281 Southeast Slater Street # 5, Stuart, FL 34997
(954) 971-5130

Not sure about the number, at least that was their number before they moved to Stuart. Hope that helps John!

PCA Club Racing Champion
Old 02-03-2004, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: