Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

'77 oil system in a '73? Compatibility question- will it fit?

Hi,

I have the chance to buy a complete fender mounted oil cooler system from a '77 911. I am trying to figure out what I need to install the system in my car.

I did a little research a saw Warren's post here which basically says that it will fit. Since I currently don't have an oil cooler, what parts will I need to adapt my oil lines to a '77 setup? Will I need the '77 oil tank or just new lines to the thermostat. Is there anything else I need to consider? FWIW, I will be getting the simple loop oil cooler. Since the oil doesn't really get over 220, I think the oil lines and loop cooler should be good enough for now.

Any thoughts. Have I forgotten anything?

Old 02-02-2004, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

Neil,

You need everything except the oil tank, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the tank, too, if the price is reasonable as a package!

The 'everything' includes all of the brackets, braces, and clips for the cooler, lines, etc. You especially need both pieces of the two-piece scavenge line that started production in 1974, as the '73 line was one-piece for the cooler setup. Sometimes the hard scavenge line is left attached to the engine and is not available with the car's other pieces in a salvage yard!!!

One very important thing to check for, or ask about, is damage to the thermostat threads at all four connetions! After this many years, it is possible that corrosion on the fittings makes detaching the lines impossible to do without ruining the threads. If the system is still fully assembled at this point, my suggestion is to demand & require that 9% vinegar for pickling be brushed and sprayed over all of the thermostat fittings, repeatedly, for over an hour before disassembly is attempted! If bubbling/fizzing occurs, continue spraying and brushing untill all fizzing stops before starting disassembly. Haste in disassembly can result in ruining the thermostat, which will require purchasing a new one!

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 02-02-2004, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Warren. It sounds like you gave me everything I need to know.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
warren really covers it all. the only thing i would like to add is; take a close look at all the lines they give you. especially the rubber parts, i just completed this exact project last week. one line from hard line to thermostat needed to be exchanged three times. once being the wrong hose, second for bad threads, which i should have noticed before taking it home. the third time, the next line had a pin hole leak, which i should have noticed due to the localized oily spot on the rubber portion. finally outta pity for me, they gave me a brand new line that worked great. i wish i had known about the vinegar trick, i would have gone and done it myself. good luck, it will be a great upgrade.

cliff
Old 02-02-2004, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to tmctguer
i retrofitted a carrera front wheel cooler and hard lines into my '73 911 E. i was suprised at how well the hard lines from a later car fit my car. the carrera cooler also fit, although i had to do a work=around to mount it since my battery boxes are still intact. i also had to buy a few new hoses from Pelican to get all the plumbing to connect correctly. i kept my stock oil tank.

if you want to get details of my project, email me at tmctguer@cox.net. i have a few pictures of the oil cooler fabrication i created to keep the cooler mounted to by battery box.

warren is correct -- the toughest part of the project was prying the dang fittings off of the thermostat. i tried everything -- propane torch, penetrating oil -- i ended up carefully cutting them off with a dremel too. i can't stress "carefully" enough.

i'll search the archives to see if i posted the details of my project. if i find anything, i'll post it here.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to tmctguer
just found one of my old posts on my installation. in the thread below is a link to the detailed posting about the work involved.

Carrera cooler install

don't hesitate to email me with questions. if you lived in SoCal, i would offer to help first hand.
1993 Beck Spyder
2006 Ford GT (why I sold my Porsches)
Old 02-02-2004, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
oh crap, should i have used anti-seize?

Old 02-02-2004, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: